Saturday 3 May 2008

Inuit Life

We had a wonderful visit with my aunt and uncle ( my dad's brother) this past week! They are missionaries in Nain, Labrador, working with the Inuit. Nain is a community of 1300 people, with 8 R.C.M.P. Mounties and no Tim Hortons, but all the seal and caribou meat you want!!! The only way in is by plane or cargo ship!

"Inuit are the Aborigianl people of Arctic Canada. The word "Inuit" means "the people" in Inuktitut and is the term by which Inuit refer to themselves. The term "Eskimo" applied to Inuit by European explorers, is no longer used in Canada." (Indian and Northern Affairs Canada, Sept. 2004)

Enjoy some of their photos of life in Artic Canada....

C'est moi with my aunt and uncle...love the crazy pose!!:)


The land of ice and snow..flying into Nain in wintertime. (There is no snow in summer!, nor do the Inuits live in igloos:))The Nain airport...really!

Some Inuit children visiting my aunt and uncle's house. They love to visit and love my aunt's cooking! One boy had never had bacon and eggs, so now he stops by for breakfast almost every morning!! My aunt and uncle are involved in many areas in the community. They have an open door policy and are even found counselling neighbours at 3 am! They also run a clothing and food exchange. They are looking for a couple to join them in working with the children and youth of Nain.


The main street of Nain! They use snowmobiles mainly to get around town in the winter! The "Northern" is the "Walmart" of Nain!
More Inuit children sledding with my cousin.
Baby Edward...isn't he adorable!
A little Inuit girl wearing a traditional hat at Christmas.

After hearing the stories of life with the Inuits, I definitely plan to visit my aunt and uncle, but only in the summer! I am not fond of the extreme cold! Not only have the Inuit of Nain captured the hearts of my aunt and uncle, they have captured my heart as well! I will continue to pray for them and for these precious people of Canada!

No comments: