Monday 19 May 2008

Treasure found


Carefully leafing through my maternal grandmother's brittle Bible today in search of some family- tree information, I found the following poem. (Grandma Porter was the keeper of our family records and history- our archivist! I miss that and feel compelled to carry on that tradition) I have no idea the year this poem was written but am guessing anywhere from the 1930's to the 1960's! I had a good chuckle! For those of us who grew up in a conservative church, we will appreciate the conservative message and all the implications that go along with it!!:)
"The Christian Maiden's Glory."
But if a woman have long hair it is a glory to her. ( 1 Cor. xi 15.)


We're living in a danger zone,
Oh, Christian maid beware!
The Devil with a cunning tone
Would have you bob your hair.

He'll tell you that it's falling out.
Or else it's getting thin:
Your headaches would be gone no doubt
And thus He tries to win.

Your hair, your glory, just to think
That which took years to grow;
The Devil in a crafty wink-
Would lay your glory low.
That which the Angels' wond'ring eye
Deem as subjection sweet:
That which fond Mary took to dry
Her blessed Saviour's feet.

T'was love that touched that won her heart,
Love drew her glory down;
But greater love, the Saviour's part,
He crowned her with renown.

Let no the Devil's scissors touch
Thy hair, it is a treasure,
But keep thy glory be it such,
To use it for His pleasure.
M.I.C.


This is my maternal grandmother. One of my memories of her is the way she ALWAYS wore her fine, gray LONG hair!! Meticulously every morning, she would divide her hair into two plaits. Then, she would intertwine them into a neat bun at the back of her head. According to family legend, she promised her father, when she left her home in Northern Ireland to immigrate to Canada, that she would never cut her hair. And she obviously felt it was her Christian duty!
Well her grand-daughter let "the Devil's scissors touch!" :)
I am thankful times have changed and my "chrisitan duty" is more than length of my hair!

P.S. Do you see my grandmother's AMAZING necklace! I absolutely LOVE it and wish I still had that treasure today! I never realized when my grandma was alive that she loved great accessories. It must be genetic!

P.S.S. I just read this interesting post at "He made me do it...so..." It is related to my grandma's poem...check out Supersimbo's wife's post here. (May 20, 2008)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a priceless poem. i can almost here my grandma reading it to me (thick german accent ad. lib.) along with her speech on picking legs off of daddy long legs and how smokers go to hell...I know...we all have a grandma like that.

swilek said...

Oh, my grandma felt smokers went to hell too!!! hehehe! Makes me wonder what "religious quirks" we will have at that age!!!:) But, what a priceless, rich heritage we have don't we "quirks" and all!!

A New Yorker said...

I dunno about the christian connection...but I sure do love my long hair. HEEHEE!

swilek said...

Lauren, your long hair is nice!!:) Really that poem represents the legalism ( all those sticky, stupid rules that don't really matter in the end!!) in christian churches and homes and I laughed at it because I hate the legalism and "rebel" against it..but not "rebel" in a bad way!!! lol! Well, I do admit to dancing in church!!:) I grew up with legalistic parents to some degree ( ie. we weren't allowed to play cards, go to dances or go to movies- only "sinners" did those things!!!) ..they have relaxed a LOT over the years!! YAY!! They even go to movies now, but only play UNO!!