Monday 5 May 2008

It was no coincidence that I read the following article in The Toronto Star today after work - I know, I know, I am 2 days behind in my newspaper reading, but hey, at least I am reading!!!



Do you speak English? Prove it

Ottawa's 'embarrassing' language test angers immigration lawyers

by Nicholas Keung

Saturday May 2, 2008



All immigrants applying to come to Canada as skilled workers-even those who grew up speaking English or French-could soon be required to take a mandatory language test to prove proficiency in one of Canada's official languages, the Star has learned.



Until now, English-and French-speaking applicants-including immigrants from the U.S. and England- could bypass the test by submitting a letter testifying to their language skills............

( you can read the rest of the article at: thestar.com )



I am in support of ensuring new immigrants in our country are able to work in their qualified profession. After all, most Canadians are immigrants from other countries, including my ancestors who came from Northern Ireland. But I do agree with the implications Ottawa is making in this new mandatory language test. And really, how can a letter testify to their language skills? Doesn't it make sense to HEAR them speak? For certain professions, I feel new immigrants need to be able to speak English well. Which brings me to why I highlighted this article in the paper. For example, the teaching profession.....



Today in my grade 8 class, there was a substitute teacher. This teacher's first language was NOT English and he was barely understandable. You can just imagine how the behaviour of these grade 8 students played out. Yes, it was mayhem. No control. I tried to find my "quiet place" in the midst of the storm, as did "C", but soon opted for taking "C" and myself out of the class to find a quieter work environment! This substitute teacher is not the first we have had in our school whose proficiency in spoken English is not up to standard. It does make a huge difference in the classroom. I can attest to it first hand! I am not being racist here at all. I am being practical. I am in support of this new language test.

Disclaimer: This post is my opinion- and only part of my opinion on the subject- and not meant to offend anyone at all.





5 comments:

Runner Girl said...

Hi Karyne~ I adore your changing photos button! Thanks for stopping by Hokey Pokey and asking about place cards for your guests. I responded to you at Hokey Pokey under your comment, but maybe I should have just posted it here. Back in a sec!!!!

Runner Girl said...

Kimberley's comment, part II

You asked for place card ideas for an upcoming tea.

Here's what I said over at Hokey Pokey...

Well, Karyne, glad you asked. My bff Lulu will laugh herself hysterical as soon as she see's this post because around these parts, I've been dubbed the "Queen of Bags & Tags!" I love nothing more than to make life sweeter for others with small notions like personalized bags and tags!

If I had to think of a place card that would delight my soul and my senses at a "high tea," I would have to say it would be a Petit Four, individually wrapped in a small, clear cellophane bag tied with a beautiful ribbon (preferably one that matches your china.) You can add your guests name as well as a favorite scripture verse (or verse you personally selected just for them) by printing it on a small, beautiful tag. You can purchase small craft tags at an arts and crafts store, or make your own with beautiful patterened paper and a hole punch. Thread the ribbon through the tag, tie off your bag, and voila.

If you don't care for Petit Fours, a Chocolate Truffle is another decadent way to "place card" your guests. Good luck, and please, please, please send me some pics!

Runner Girl said...

Okay, girlie! Go to Hokey Pokey to learn more! Sorry, I can't copy and paste my entire blog here...you know I would if I could! Tee Hee!

Bar L. said...

Its a very touchy subject here in the US to talk about anything related to immigration (well at least in California). We have a lot of illegal immigration issues.

I would be happy if people learned to speak English once they got here.

swilek said...

yes barbara it is a very controversial issue...i haven't posted one like that on my blog so...but it would be most helpful and I know if we went to their countries and got a job, they would want us to speak their language fluently and I would want to as well!!!:)