Tuesday 13 May 2008

Blind Dating 101

I am a sucker for watching the reality TV show, "The Bachelor." Why? I have no idea. The relationships usually don't even last. There was only one success story- Trista and Ryan. I think I still hold out hope that something will eventually work out for some lucky bachelor. I hope this British bachelor really did find true love in the American actress, whose father I used to be in love with in the 80's! ( Lorenzo Lamas of Falcon Crest fame!)

I guess the real crux of the matter is I am still a hopeless romantic, even at 40! I realize I am being idealistic, yet still relish the thought of being swept off my feet by my "knight in shining armour!" Okay, don't gag anyone!!! It is true!

Although at this stage in my life, I think I have given up hope that my knight will be arriving and have come to the conclusion that God somehow wants me to be single. Don't worry, I haven't felt the calling to enter the convent yet!

Maybe that is why "The Bachelor" is so appealing to me...it allows me to still dream... it allows me to live vicariously through someone else...okay I know it is TV and most likely staged, but hey...let me hold on to my dream!!

This seems a fitting segue ( excuse my spelling...Janina, my editor, I need you now!!) into the first installment of one of my blind date stories!! I thought it would be fitting to share this story first since it is at the forefront of my mind! Here goes....

Panic set in as I glanced around the crowded Sunday School classroom only a few short weeks ago. Directly sitting across from me was one of my blind date stories gone bad. I was in shock and many questions flooded my mind, such as, what is he doing here, why he is at my church, is he just visiting for the day, do I say hi to him, will I have to change classes, why does he keep staring at me.

It all started when a co-worker of mine asked if I would like to be set up with a co-worker of her husband at Costco. "He is a church boy too, " she said. Always up for an adventure, I said, "SURE!"

As it turned out, I knew him in an indirect way as his parents went to my church. I found out later that he and I were actually in youth group together but because he was younger than I, I didn't remember him. Apparently we even went to the same high school. So, my romantic mind got carried away with me and I was thinking what a cool love story we would have! ( and a great blog post!! hehehe! wait...I didn't blog back then!)

Phone numbers were exchanged. I eagerly anticipated his phone call. Sure enough he called the next day. Things were going well until...

he started to weep.

I mean uncontrollable sobs.

Something you would not typically expect from a guy, but I thought, "hey...great... he is a sensitive guy in touch with his feelings!"

Now, to be fair, his marriage had recently just broken up and thus the reason for the tears when telling me the story. For me though, it was too much information too soon. Prior to this sudden bout of crying, I had some "red flags," but thought I would keep an open mind. So at this point in the conversation I was second guessing my decision to have coffee with him. Quickly, my thoughts played my mom's " words of wisdom" tape from over the years....

"don't be so picky, give it a chance, he has a nice family, he has a good job, you aren't getting any younger...blah, blah, blah...give it a chance."

Rewind?....Delete?...I can't delete my mom's mom-ism's...So... Rewind it is...

We set a date and place. Oh no, another "red flag." He wanted to meet at the scummiest, smallest, and not in a -good- part- of -town Tim Horton's ( like Dunkin Donuts for all you Americans. Definitely not Starbucks). Call me old fashioned, but I'm not into going to a fast food type place on my first date. I love Timmy's coffee but not the greatest ambiance for a first date. He didn't even pay for my coffee....another sign in my books.

I know it may sound like I am being "picky." You bet I am! At this stage in my life, I do know what I want and don't want and am a good judge of character. I would rather be single than with someone just for the sake of having a partner.

So, we chit- chatted some more taking a trip down memory lane about all the mutual people we knew. No chemistry though. Then it happened again....He brought up the topic of his divorce again ...

You guessed it...

the uncontrollable sobbing started again.

Politely, I thanked him for a nice evening and made my exit.

I concluded that he was definitely not ready for a new relationship. He needed time to heal.

Has this healing taken place? I have no idea, but do hope so for his sake. We haven't spoken to each other yet. In fact, I try to avoid any eye contact, which is a difficult task in a small room! It is a bit awkward. Suffice to say, there is no chemistry even if he is ready for a relationship! The adventure with the "crying guy" may not be over. Stay tuned...


10 comments:

Bar L. said...

Oh my! You are not being too picky, being picky is a GOOD thing, the opposite is settling for less and that is a disaster.

This guy was SO not ready to date!! I am surprised he even agreed to a date. I feel bad for him until I heard he did not pay for your coffee....WRONG!

I can't wait to hear more stories!

Runner Girl said...

No worries, Karyne. Your knight is probably lost somewhere in the forest, but God will bring him to you in His time. I picture a strapping--Lorenzo type--man who dried up tear ducts! And another thing I've learned, don't ever, ever resolve that you may as well accept anything less that the dream God has placed in your heart! I believe with all of my heart that God honors hope!

Candid Carrie said...

Karyne - I don't think your dating story would have been as good if you would have blogged it way back when it happened. It sure makes for a great read today!

I don't mean to sound like Dear Abby or some advice columnist, BUT (did you notice my big BUT) I will be fifty this summer and I am a newlywed celebrating my third anniversary. Sure, I had a couple of sucky husbands along the way, but if I had to journey through all of that to get this ... well worth the ride.

Heather said...

Oh, blind dates are so...cover your eyes 'cuz I'm gonna curse...sucky.

I used to break up with a guy if he couldn't spell. I think us girls have to be picky. There are alot of goobers out there (as illustrated in your story).

Sobbing...on a first date???? It should be outlawed. I agree with Kimberley. God's got someone out there and He DOES honor hope. I really, really believe that.

carolyn said...

I agree that you are not being picky!

I went out with a guy a couple of times who had a really nice car (that was the major draw, i'm ashamed to say), but quickly got creeped out because he had a MAJOR Anne of Green Gables obsession. He took one look at my hair and figured that I was the one for him, especially when he found out that i loved the books and had even been Anne for halloween one year. I couldn't get away fast enough!!

swilek said...

Barbara, Kimberley, Heather: thank you ladies for all your encouragement...very sweet...i actually needed it today and that was not planned!!!:)

Carolyn..hilarious about the guy that felt you were for him because of your hair looking like Anne's!!!:):) Good think you ran!!

Carrie..very encouraging...how was the adjustment? you don't sound like Dear Abby by the way...I appreciate it!!

A New Yorker said...

I had a relationship with a cryer way back...it's a form of manipulation when they do it all the time. Forget this baby. You deserve everything you have dreamed of! Hang tight for it.

swilek said...

Thanks Lauren...I never thought about the manipulation technique! But, I totally feel it makes sense! I actually saw the "crying guy" today at Costco..that is where he works!!:):)

Carol said...

Karyne... have to admit I was walking through Costco last week.. actually running because I was on my lunch half hour and was looking to see if anyone looked remotely familiar (or weepy) ... to see if I recognized this guy from church. I don't know who you are talking about and it's driving me crazy! haha!

swilek said...

carol, it's the brother of the guy in your sunday school class that comments on EVERYTHING....they sit upstairs in the balcony at church...the section to the right of the sound board...he actually is pretty nice looking...gotee, dark hair...a bit on the heavier side...hope that helps!!!:):) he actually makes comments like his brother only not as often!!!lol! obnoxious!