Saturday 17 May 2008

Old men will always be boys!

Here is my 74 and 3/4 year old father holding the "souvenir" he bought on his trip to Lancaster, PA. My first introduction to this "souvenir" was when I was helping my parents unload their car last night. I heard a farting sound come from my dad, but was suspicious. You see, I made a discovery a few years ago. By mistake really. Unintentionally, I discovered I could tell the difference between my parents' flatuations.

How you ask?

One summer on holidays, my friend and I were visiting in the living room of our trailer while my parents slept in the back bedroom. All of a sudden in the middle of an important conversation, we heard a loud fart come from the back of the trailer. I interjected with, "oh that was just my dad."

Approximately 3 minutes later, we heard another loud fart coming from the same direction. Without missing a beat, I calmly said, "oh that is my mom."

Immediately in mid -sentence I gasped! I realized I could tell my parent's farts apart! My friend and I laughed hysterically! Did I have a new-found gift?

Thus, I knew the sound coming from my dad last night was fake. A-ha! He was caught in the act trying to trick his daughter. She was not fooled!

Giggling , my dad excitedly showed me the eight different farting sounds this gadget can make. He actually has names for them. I can only remember "the wet one" and the "one that sounds like your mother!" ( Apparently my dad has the "gift" too)

There is NEVER a dull moment in my family!

Old men will always be boys and I am okay with that!

3 comments:

A New Yorker said...

OMG, this reminds me of the scene in Good Will Hunting where Robin Williams's character is telling Matt Damon's character about missing his wife and about idocincracies and no one being perfect but perfect for us...and he is remembering how his wife farted in her sleep and once woke herself up from her own fart but he didn't have the heart to tell her it was her own fart.

swilek said...

I totally forgot about that scene in the movie!! Yes it is similar!!:) lol!

Unknown said...

I honestly can say...as can my siblings...that we have NEVER heard my dad fart. I am not sure how rare this is...but true! So sadly, I can not share in your talent. Though I am impressed.
BTW...I've added you on my blogroll, hope that's okay.