Thursday 20 March 2008

Oxymoron

My students, in a way, are an oxymoron -a love dislike relationship! Allow me to paraphrase Forest Gump:


Each school day is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you will get.


For the most part, my week with my students ( the regular stream ones) has been very disheartening. The majority of teachers feel the same way I do. It is a new challenge trying to teach this generation of students.


But, God in His mercy and love encouraged me today through the "special ones" of our school! It amazes me how two children with autism can brighten even the darkest hour.

I was walking by my dear "S" 's class ,who were standing in the hallway, when "S" came up to me and asked me about my dog.

I need to give you some background info that will be helpful for you to understand my conversation with "S". About 3 months ago "S" asked me if I had a dog. I told her the whole story about Toby and that she got sick and died. "S" asked if she was buried in a cemetery. I say yes just to keep things simple. Well, little did I know that my dear "S" would occasionally keep asking me about my dog Toby. Her memory is amazing, especially with remembering birthdays.

"S" hasn't asked me about Toby for over a month now until today- totally random - to us non- autistic people that is! We have no idea how the autistic process their thoughts and for "S" this was not a random conversation. So, here it is:

"S": Miss Whalen, where did you get those ear rings. I love them.

Miss Whalen ( that would be me! ): Thank you. I got them at H & M.

"S": Miss Whalen, what happened to your dog?

Miss Whalen: You know "S" what happened to my dog.

"S": She died. She is in the cemetery.

Miss Whalen: That's right.

"S": Bye Miss Whalen. Can I help "C"?

Miss Whalen: Yes you can help "C", but later. Bye "S".

"S": Okay. Thank you. Bye Miss Whalen!

Then when I went to my next class, I had the cutest encounter with my sweet "D"! We were sitting at the computers in the library when I looked over at "D" to see how she was making out. Our eyes met and all of a sudden she blew me a kiss and then immediately gave me the thumbs up signal! Somehow I think that little girl knew I needed that priceless moment today!!

I thank God for creating these "special ones" and allowing them to be part of world! We have so much to learn from their lives.

I ended my week knowing I am blessed to be part of these love dislike relationships!!!

3 comments:

Huse Yo Mama said...

that is touching.

My nieces have PSD (I think that's the correct acronym)... autism all over the spectrum?

Anyway, I love those moments!

Aphra said...

What a long week- and it was only 4 days! I'm hoping next week will be less exhausting.
Thanks for sharing about Tuesday. I thought it was me, probably doing something wrong :)

swilek said...

Huse..Here in Canada it is called PDD and I am now totally blanking on the full name...persuasive ____ disorder! Oops!!! They are special moments as I'm sure you are aware with your neices!!! Your sister or brother must be exhausted!

Aphra...you are welcome...the enemy was trying to discourage so many of us right before Easter!