Tuesday 11 March 2008

March Break Memories


I was looking through one of my scrapbook albums the other day when I came across the following pictures. Wonderful, life changing memories came flooding back to me as I recalled that special day 15 years ago spent in Tijuana, Mexico. I was working with Youth For Christ, Edmonton at the time and each March Break we took a group of high school students down to California. We always participated in a missions project and this particular year, we went to "Panamerica," a community in Tijuana which was built on an active garbage dump. The above picture is a typical family dwelling.






Here I am playing games with the local children. Everyone was a winner and received a prize!

While the children played games, their moms lined up to receive bags of food and clothes.





The highlight of the day for me was being in the wash house! Each child was given a bath and had their hair washed and de-loused. After they were cleaned they were given a new set of clothes and then were sent to me to have their hair combed. They were allowed to pick one special barrette for me to put in their hair. At first, I was not keen on touching their hair as I had never experienced lice before so I quickly combed the knots and added the barrettes as fast as I could.

I wasn't prepared for the huge smiles on their faces after they saw their finished look. They LOVED what I did. In fact, they loved it so much, they went to fetch their friends so their friends could have their hair done too. I was humbled immediately. These little girls had no idea this was NOT my best work. I was so worried I would catch the lice that I forgot why I was there - to serve, to bring joy, to share Jesus in even the smallest details! I needed to give my best- these little girls deserved that much. So, I carefully and painstakingly worked the many knots out of their hair and then gave them a beautiful hairstyle! I will never forget their smiles and hugs. I have often prayed for these kids over the years. Most would be entering adulthood. I wonder where they are now. I pray that they remember Jesus was shown to them that glorious day!








1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi and thanks for visiting my blog. I am sure you will have a wonderful trip in the summer.

Be sure to drop my by blog on St Patricks Day.