Wednesday 5 March 2008

Vintage Velour Track Suit: a.k.a. "Pimp" suit























My first glimpse of the brand new, hot off the fashion runway, velour, Adidas track suit was on the body of Tony Dorsett, a Dallas Cowboy, March Break 1977. He looked stunning. My family and I were in Florida visiting Dad's cousin when we had the opportunity to meet the famous Tony Dorsett. Dad's cousin was running a football camp with Tony as the special guest. (My brother actually got to pick him up at the airport.) I will never forget standing on the football field mesmerized by Tony's emerald green, velour track suit. I had never seen anything like it! My 10 year old mind knew it was very expensive but thought only "bad people" ( pimps as I would later come to understand) wore them. I watched too many episodes of Starsky and Hutch I guess!! So, while everyone around me was ecstatic they were in the presence of this famous football player, I couldn't keep my eyes off his track suit!


You can imagine my surprise today when I walked into my grade 2 classroom and saw the student I work with (March 3) wearing a vintage velour track suit like Tony Dorsett's. This is the same student who poured white glue in my hair, who makes running commentaries on my fashion sense - complimented by exaggerated expressions, who attempts to taunt me every time he uses a glue bottle and pretends he is a jellyfish, sucking the life out of me until I acknowledge his reference to the glue incident, but eventually gives up when I don't give him the satisfaction ( seriously, he was to be sent home for purposely pouring glue in my hair, but his mom refused to pick him up, thus, he received no consequences for his behaviour. So, when he taunts me, he is basically saying, " hahahaha...you can't catch me...I won't get in trouble." ), AND who is very endearing most days! I do have a soft spot for this child! He IS cute and looked adorable in his "pimp"track suit!!
***The above pic of Tony Dorsett is like the one he gave me except it said, "To Karyne, All the best, Tony!" I will have to try to locate it in my treasure trunk. The pic of the vintage velour track suit is identical to the one Tony wore that day with the exception of the colour.***

1 comment:

carolyn said...

Velour was BIG 30 years ago, wasn't it? I can still remember the matching burgundyish velour v-necks that my sisters and I had!