Saturday 1 December 2007

A "Yarn" About One of My Favourite Students who has Autism

"From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise...O Lord you have searched me and you know me...you perceive my thoughts from afar...before a word is on my tongue you know it completely O Lord...for you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...my frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth...your eyes saw my unformed body...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made." (Psalm 8:2; Psalm 139: 1-16)


Yesterday at school as my sweet "D" climbed onto my lap to sing her favourite Sunday School song (" I may never march in the infantry, ride in the cavalry, shoot the artillery, I may never fly o'er the enemy, but I'm in the Lord's army, yes sir...." -- it's a good thing I know the song from my Sunday School days!! She likes it when I bounce her on my lap for the "ride in the cavalry" part!), I couldn't help but wonder how her little mind works. She loves to play with these coloured ,connecting blocks and will group them ALWAYS in four- never more, never less - always alternating only TWO colours. She loves to take hold of our hands and look at our bulging veins. She always takes off both shoes and her right sock - almost always leaves the left sock on - then rolls up the pant leg on her right side. She loves to write the colours of the Crayola crayons on paper, then outline each word in the colour she just wrote. She especially loves to write "burgundy" and "magenta." When she gets to the blue -green Crayola, she always writes the word, "fiz." She groups her Crayola crayons in a certain order - not by colours. Even though I don't understand her little idiosyncrasies, God does. He created her inmost being...He knows her thoughts from afar...before a word comes out of her lips, He knows it. He knows her. She makes sense to Him. I believe God created the "special ones" in this world to teach us how to live. Even in that moment when my sweet "D" climbed down from my lap and gently told me to "F-Off" :)