Thursday 19 June 2008

Vatican City Adventure Part 2

As we awaited our fate, four young English-speaking Italian men, hot Italian men I might add, came to our aid. In the meantime, the police officer was restraining our “old friend” from attacking me while at the same time trying to hear the translated story from our rescuers. To this day, we have no idea what our rescuers said to the police but immediately following their brief conversation, the police officer winked and smiled then motioned for us to leave. He began conversing with the old lady but she was clearly not going to give up without a fight!

Suddenly, I felt a shooting pain on my shin. That feisty “bag lady” kicked me. I couldn’t believe it. I was dressed up in my Christmas finest and all!! While trying to recover from the shock and pain in my leg, I heard a commotion over in the direction of our hot Italian saviours, who were chatting with some of my travelling companions. It was our pigeon- loving friend again.

Abruptly, standing with hands on her hips, she leaned back, then in a quick forward motion she SPIT in the face of one of our Italian champions. My face froze in a state- of –shock- expression yet again. It was a surreal moment. Did that really happen?

After thanking our hot Italian men and bidding them farewell, we FINALLY gathered ourselves together and left St. Peter’s Square. The crowd watching had dispersed except for a friendly Englishman who was in Rome on his honeymoon. He witnessed the entire scenario and couldn’t believe his eyes either.

I CLEARLY remember his "wise" words,

“what was THAT all about?!”

Exactly!

No comments: