Wednesday 11 June 2008

a sad day for my hometown

GM Truck Plant will be closing in 2009. That means 2600 people will lose their jobs. Oshawa won't be the same. I hold a special place in my heart for GM for two reasons....one being my dad worked at GM in their computer division for over 30 years...the second reason being I worked in the Truck Plant for a summer during university. GM was good to me and I have many fond memories working the line as a 20 year old "naive" student worker!

Memories include...

  • not understanding why all the men whistled at me as I ran up the stairs to the bathroom. I quickly learned my lesson when one of the full -time female workers pulled me aside to give me the heads up that my "girls" jiggled as I ran and warned me to walk the next time
  • being privy to the best practical joke ever on my first day of work...PARENTAL DISCRETION ADVISED. SOME SCENES OF SEXUAL CONTENT... Here's how it went down: I was sitting on a stool, minding my own business in the "trim and hardware" division, waiting for the next truck to come into the bay for me to work my magic on it, when out of the corner of my eye I saw a commotion. I quickly recognized the men were looking at a dirty magazine laying on the desk nestled behind the line. Suddenly, I heard some screaming, laughter and some choice explisive words and then an employee emerged with a look of shock and embarrassment on his face. At that point I looked over pretending not to be fazed by the commotion - it was my first day after all- when I noticed this employee was wet in his private area. Immediately I was stunned. I could not believe this man could NOT control himself at work. GROSS! It was going to be a long summer! The stereotype of working on the line was coming true before my very eyes. Have no fear, I too soon joined in the laughter as I learned this horrifying scene was all part of a bigger plan - the best practical joke ever! I know I have a sick sense of humour! You see, some guys rigged a water gun under that desk. They would lure male employees over to the desk by telling them they had a dirty magazine for them to look at. This ploy worked well because things can get pretty boring on the line! AND men are men after all! When the men were looking at the magazine, another unsuspecting employee would start pumping the water gun and PRESTO! Their secret was safe with me that summer!
  • I was able to read a couple of novels over the course of the summer. Now, in the car plant, you were able to read a book a week but on our line, we were too busy!
  • I learned how they build trucks and I am proud to have my handiwork written all over the 1989/1990 GMC, Sierra and Chev models!
  • I gained a new education in male bonding
  • I learned some of my fashion tips by viewing the gallery of "Sunshine Girls" plastered all over the guys' lockers!!!!
  • making great money, which paid for university!

THANK YOU General Motors Oshawa Truck Plant! Here's to you! I am still driving a GM vehicle!!

3 comments:

A New Yorker said...

I am sure something else will fill the void of that plant closing. Does sound like you got a good edumacation there though ;-) ;-)

Heather said...

That's so sad that it's closing. What will all those people do?

swilek said...

lauren/heather..i hope something fills the void..there have been protests, etc...i heard rumblings they made make another car at the oshawa plant, so hopefully things will perk up...i'm not sure what they will do..many of the workers started right out of high school so have no education..they thought they'd be working there until retirement..hopefully there can be a compromise