Tuesday 24 June 2008

More Thematic Photographic Glass

Great Aunt May's Glass Broach Rummaging through Great Aunt May's musty old jewel box after she died exposed this glass gem. It is my favourite broach because it reflects light in a myriad of ways that produces the most amazing colours!



Stained Glass at "The Farm"

In honour of our last two days of school before summer break, I thought I would try to capture some of the stained glass art our students created. These pieces hang in the windows of our front entrance! Happy Summer Holidays!

For more Thematic Photography, click here.

2 comments:

carmilevy said...

Hi Karyne. Thanks so much for your kind comments on my blog.

I've got to admit your question has given me pause: Any tips on how to look at an image or scene differently in order to capture a unique angle, etc.?

There's no one set answer, because "thinking different" is more a mindset than a specific action or process. For the most part, I do two things:

1 - I think long and hard about the kind of pictures that everyone else takes. The conventional perspectives, the standard shots, angles and subjects. Then I avoid taking them like the plague.

2 - Wherever I go, I'm always framing things in my mind, wondering how I'd approach them if I had my camera in my hand. By constantly choosing subjects and mulling over an approach strategy, I end up with more options when I actually do have a camera in my hand.

3 - I actually put that camera in my hand whenever it's convenient. I carry my camera bag wherever I go - it's like my man-purse - and try to take pictures of anything that trips my radar. It's always the unexpected moments that result in the neatest shots.

4 - I explore a subject deeply. Instead of taking one shot from one angle, I walk around it and capture it from high, low, different sides, different settings on the camera, whatever. Then, when I get home, I have a broader set to choose from...at least ONE of them should be neato, right?

Sorry I can't be more specific. It's like any artistic endeavour: I learn by doing and internalizing the experience. Since it's now a normal part of my everyday life, I find I'm getting lots of practice.

A New Yorker said...

The Farm as in Ina May's Farm?