Tuesday 5 August 2008

Adventure in Kingston (a.k.a. P.J. Party Like No Other Part 2)

"They held each other until the wave of their sorrow passed and he [The Rector] was able to pray." (Jan Karon, "These High Green Hills.")





Summer reading. A gem of a novel. When I read this sentence, I was taken back in time to an indescribable, cherished moment in April 2005. Shari and I were at the funeral of our best friend's father. A moment we had all been dreading. Inevitable. He was the first. We weren't ready for the sorrow. We weren't ready for what this stage in life entails. Weren't we still those vivacious teenagers who didn't really pay much attention to our parents - except making sure we were in by curfew so our dads weren't waiting up for us?!



Yet, I will never ever forget that precious moment God enabled the three of us to experience. Shari and I came to say our goodbyes before the funeral. We had arrived the night before for the visitation but were not able to stay for the funeral. We didn't know at the time, but that is exactly how God wanted it to be. We needed to be in that room with Lisa at that exact moment. Shari and I gathered round her on the bed. We began to pray for her, but paused. We couldn't go on. Silently, we held each other and wept. I don't know how long we sat there embracing one another - until the wave of sorrow passed and we were able to pray for Lisa. The heaviness lifted. The sorrow turned to hope. Peace filled our mended hearts. Just as we were saying our amen's, Lisa's husband jolted us back to reality with, " Lisa, you need to get going. Your mom and sister are waiting for you to do their hair. " ( Lisa is a hair stylist ) We had a good chuckle at her husband's timing!





This is what friends do for each other. I wouldn't have it any other way. I am blessed with an eclectic mix of friendships all over the world- each weaving our stories together to create something beautiful, priceless. I thank God every day - well almost every day - for the people He has allowed to intersect with me - with my life, allowing me to enter into their life story. Together, coming just as we are, we embark on an adventure, one filled with both excitement, lessons learned and set backs, but one that is thoroughly enjoying the journey every step of the way!


Here is another "adventure" with some of my "eclectic" friends......



Stopping by to visit my friend Nancy in her new home in Kingston. We had lunch here at this quaint pub right across from the yacht club, which is a "hop,skip and a jump" from her cute home!


The yacht club on Lake Ontario
It was a glorious day....a view of Lake Ontario.
Another view - Me!! :)....
Nancy
Next stop, Priscilla's house for a haircut and our PJ Party part two. Here I am with my new 'do, dressed and ready for a night on the town. ( I'm wearing my new clothes from Northern Ireland!!)
Rock Stars? No, it's us ( me, Shari, San) being driven by our chauffeurs, Pam and Priscilla!
Priscilla...( didn't get a pic of Pam in the car-sorry Pam!)
Next stop...Mexicali Rosa's, downtown Kingston. They have a lovely outdoor patio. What is summer without a Corona - apparently! Notice there are only 4 bottles and there are 5 of us! I really don't drink much at all, so I sat this round out! I just loved the presentation so had to capture it on film!
Here's Pam...Can I divulge a secret? Sure I can, it's my blog!! hehehe! Pam, a married 40 something mother of three ( 1 set of twins in there) got "checked out" thoroughly by two men en route to the restaurant! She did look hot! You go girl!
Priscilla and San hiding their gorgeous faces. They are not keen on having their pics taken!
Shari, with a view of the patio....the fountain was lovely!
Me again with my soda water and lime!
I love Skittles. San pulled out a bag of them from her purse. I got excited but knew they were her son's, who has autism . I knew I shouldn't really ask for one, but could not resist the temptation. She said with a grin, "sure," and openned the bag. I reached for one and then stopped suddenly in my tracks! Yup, her son got to them first. He likes to lick them all first, put them back in the bag, then eat them! Needless to say, I declined San's offer! My Skittle craving would have to wait!
I just loved this cool bottle!
After our night out on the town, we came home to Priscilla's and attempted Karoke. Here is Shave knitting at the same time as Karoke!
Priscilla and Darren's awesome dog, Bubba- he's drowling for those bag of Skittles too!
I couldn't believe Shari ( nicknamed Shave) still had this t-shirt after all those years. Her boyfriend, which became her husband, made it for her back in the 80's! We always wanted to form a band called, "Shave and the Razor's." I was to be "Daisy" and Lisa was to be "Bic"!!":) Maybe one day we will realize our dream! What great memories!

5 comments:

A New Yorker said...

Looks like so much fun. Nice hair cut!

Gina said...

What would we do without friends?!??!
I'm so glad you are blessed with such strong ones.
Your trip looks like it was a BLAST- everyone looks gorgeous, and I love the chic hairdo and that top is fantastic!!

Gina said...

p.s. I LOVE Shave & the Razors!!! Daisy and Bic?!?!?!
That's hysterical.

Unknown said...

Great friends are such a blessing!
I love the 'SHAVE' group too...I can totally imagine the laughter and fun surrounding those memories...where there any 'Gillette's'' in the group?

swilek said...

thanks everyone! friends are priceless aren't they! no, there weren't any gillettes in the group! if i ever get married, i want shave and the razors to perform!!!