Sunday 10 August 2008

Bored in Church

I dedicate today's post to those of us who developed our artistic skills, at a young age, doodling in church during the LONG, BORING ( to a child) sermons.

Recently, I was looking through my Grandmother's Bible and found this "artwork" circa 1970's. Resident artist: my brother Cameron. Clearly, he must have been extremely bored and out of creative ideas to attempt to replicate our church hymnal. For those of my friends reading my blog who went to Calvary in the 60's, 70's and 80's, you will no doubt remember those red hymnbooks! It was almost blasphemy when the church bought new ones and laid to rest Crowning Glory ! Now, we don't use hymnbooks at all in church. Multimedia has taken over! My brother moved on from drawing hymnbooks to portraits...
Apparently this is what I looked like back in the early 70's. I was a mature looking toddler! He couldn't even spell my name right! Close though. I shouldn't be too hard on him! It's not his fault our parents chose a different spelling for my common name! ( I actually grew to love the way my name was spelled) Also, Cam definitely captured the family resemblance between my oldest brother Steve and I. Steve is 8 years older than I. We practically look like twins!
Priceless art. Thanks to my "packrat" grandma for this keepsake. It made me chuckle today.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

What wonderful treasures you found! Thank you for sharing. I have my grandmother's handwritten cookbook --- a notebook that she hand recorded all her recipes in from the time she learned to cook until she started clipping them out of magazines. She was born in 1900. I am scanning it for preservation, but now and then I will find a surprise. A couple of the precious pages have my mother's young hand practicing writing her name. Thankfully Grandma left those pages on the notebook. I'm sure through the years of her life those pages brought a smile to her face many times.

A New Yorker said...

I love these finds. I have something for you this week.

Nestor Family said...

What a neat piece of history you have there!

Karen said...

It is always fun to come across something like that. My parents are packrats too. I've seen many of my homemade cards for them, and drawings etc. Very fun!

swilek said...

Barb, what a wonderful treasure you have! Have you tried her recipes? Isn't it special to see their handwriting too?!I found some of my grandmother's hand written recipes and have them in safe keeping...maybe i should try scanning them to preserve them too!

Lauren, thanks for the award! appreciate the kind words and recognition!

heidi and karen, thanks!it is fun to have keepsakes!