Sunday 24 August 2008

Thematic Photographic - Colourful

Carmi's theme for the week is "colourful." Check out his blog for other entries or if you want to join in!

My assortment of colourful were captured yesterday while on a shopping adventure with my mom. We had a brilliant day together exploring small town Ontario!




First stop...Greenbank. A trek through the countryside is not complete without a visit to this amazing bakery. As a family, we would stop here on our way to the trailer every weekend in the summer. Actually, we have been coming to this establishment for almost 40 years! Our order: a loaf of white bread, a loaf of Chelsea bread, and 1 dozen buttertarts-their specialty!






Sunflowers are one of my favourite flowers. I had to capture these which I found growing beside the Chicken Coop. I love the brilliant yellow colour against the brilliant blue sky!












Next stop...Oakwood. Hidden behind the four corners of the village was this eclectic antique store. We found many treasures in this old, crowded shop. One such treasure immediately stood out to me - this colourful abacus. I asked the friendly owner if I could take a picture of it. As a child, I loved playing with my abacus. It was also a reminder that school starts in one week, which means it is back to work for me! Final stop...Lindsay. There were many colourful opportunities in many of the shops in this quaint town. However, I didn't feel comfortable pulling out my camera. I sensed the persnickety shop owners would not approve. I longed to take a picture of my favourite dishes, Fiesta ware, but just couldn't sneak a quick shot. I did manage to shoot this pic of these handbags hanging outside one of the shops! Weary from all the shopping, picture taking and the humid afternoon, we stopped for a cold drink in this coffee shop, "Cinnamon Grounds" ... an appropriate colour for the walls I must say.


I love this brilliant red geranium against the black railing.
















Finally, I had to include this bag of "Skittles," even though it wasn't part of my "colourful" journey yesterday. I wrote about them here.


So ends my colourful journey!

6 comments:

A New Yorker said...

I could use some coffee about now. Just finally got all my data from idiot squad. What a bunch of dopes! Nice photos.

Nestor Family said...

This is an absolutely fun post full of color and adventure of what you saw! Neato!

carmilevy said...

Yet another reason to love living in Ontario: it's full of colorful people and experiences.

As I read this delightful entry, I kept thinking that you were touching on two forms of color. One is the visible color in your pictures. The other is the color of the places you've been, the special tone that makes them memorable.

You captured both with great care.

Runner Girl said...

Your pictures are so stinkin' good...I'm almost jealous.

I love the skittles picture, and what's up with their color...it looks like they've had the color all sucked off of them or something...are they the Canadian version?

Glad you had a fun day with your Mom.

Thanks for your kindness

swilek said...

carmi-thank you...well put and i couldn't have said it better myself!! it is true that "colour" goes beyond the primary and secondary! I am reminded of the Chicago song, "The colours of my life." ( I think that is the one!)
Heidi and Lauren, thanks...did you get your coffee?
Kimberley..thank you as well...Yes, they are sort of the Canadian version of Skittles...read about the reason for the discolour on the link I put on the post :) You are correct about the colour being sucked off them!!:)

Suburbia said...

Lovely colours! Sunflowers are my favourite too and Skittles of course!