Tuesday 12 August 2008

Summertime Floods

Yesterday evening, we experienced torrential rains like I have never seen before. As usual, we also experienced flooding due to the re-construction of this church parking lot at the top of our hill. We never had a problem before the re-construction. The "lovely" pastor of this church had ignored this severe problem for a couple of years. Finally, this year the city got after him and he thought he solved the problem. Apparently not. I wanted to document what happens when it rains...





What this pastor doesn't realize is how treacherous the main road becomes due to his ignorance. Cars, fire trucks and ambulances driving west are suddenly upon this flooded street when they crest the hill. Hopefully this problem will be resolved permanently very soon before a major accident occurs.
Can you see the rainbow? During the storm, this rainbow graced us with her presence!

When I awoke this morning, I took a pic of the remains of the storm/flood...
Obviously the pastor knew he needed to clean up the mess and got some teenagers to shovel it all away. Great way to shift responsibility. ( Can you hear my sarcastic tone?!!) Guess where they took all the mud? You guessed correct - back up the hill! Can't wait for the next rainstorm:)

8 comments:

Suburbia said...

I can't believe he can't come down the hill in the storm and see it for himself?!
Well, as you said at mine, it seems to be wet everywhere this summer. If only we could send some to Australia!

Tim Atkinson said...

We had rain like that here last year - and some poor beggars are still homeless! This year i's been constant drizzle.

swilek said...

Suburbia...I know...he is a rotter of a minister.

Dotterel..that's right, how quickly i forgot about your serious floods over there...wow, so there are some still homeless...very sad...the media needs to give us more updates on some of these major stories:)

Tiffany said...

Wow. I can't believe the church hasn't done anything about it... that is really dangerous.

Glad you've got photos.

katylinvw said...

oh my word! how sad - that man is not making a very positive impression on the community, and it seems very dangerous! i hope they get that resolved for you soon!

Unknown said...

I saw your comment on Lula's blog and had to come visit you. I am the mom of Kristi, so I thought I would let you know that she doesn't have any Canadian roommates. But maybe she will meet up with them before the semester is over!

A New Yorker said...

We have been having torrential rain storms too! And my parents in FL say the same when I speak with them. Something strange is happening!

That sucks about the church and how they are not being socially responsible to the community.

swilek said...

yes, ya'll...it is sad this church isn't doing anything about it...the pastor is pig-headed and it is a sad testimony to the seniors in the building and to the city officials! i think i may submit the photos to the city to show them firsthand what is happening and how dangerous it is!

kim, thanks for that info...maybe your daughter will meet them!!:) I think they are having a great time so far!