Saturday 30 August 2008

Thematic Photographic - Watery

"Parkwood is one of Canada’s finest and last remaining grand estates, featuring architectural, landscape and interior designs of the 1920’s and 1930’s. Once home to auto baron R. Samuel McLaughlin (founder of General Motors of Canada), Parkwood is praised by Canada’s Historic Site and Monuments Board as “a rare surviving example of the type of estate developed in Canada during the inter-war years, and is rarer still by its essentially intact condition, furnished and run to illustrate as it was lived within.”

Spending the afternoon at Parkwood, I explored one of my favourite features of this estate. Speaking of features, it was "featured" in Adam Sandler's movie, Billy Madison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqOgU-epKX0

Carmi over at Written Inc gave us this challenge for thematic photographic:


"It's hard to imagine what's more important than water. Our bodies are made mostly from it. We need to drink it fairly regularly to stay healthy. Our plants won't grow without it. So for this week's Thematic Photographic theme, I'd like to focus on - say it with me - water. I know you'll find new and exciting ways to share photos of the most critical resource on the planet."

Here are some of my "new and exciting ways" of sharing this watery, recycled, resource from the gardens at Parkwood this afternoon...



The mouth of the fountain leading to the tea house
Without realizing it due to the blinding sun, I captured my shadow in the pic. I think it is a "cool" effect!
Once again without realizing due to the sun, I managed to capture both streams of water coming from their mouths Walking towards the tea house...The tea house in the distance. To the left is the tent set up for a wedding today. I have been to a Swing Night under this tent at the Oshawa Jazz and Blues Festival. It was enchanting and felt like something out of "The Great Gatsby."The tea house...



Parkwood is located beside our hospital. (It was here where I came into this world!) Years ago you would not have been able to see the hospital from Parkwood, but the estate had to cut down many of the dying trees, thus the present view! Another bit of trivia that is not on the Parkwood website...R.S. McLaughlin donated a great deal of his money to the Oshawa Hospital. His one stipulation however was that there could not be a catholic hospital built in Oshawa or he would pull his funding. Why you ask? He was a protestant chap from Northern Ireland!


The view from the tea house looking towards the mouth of the fountain.
I had an enchanting afternoon at my favourite "watering hole!"





2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful spot. The photo with your shadow looks neat, I like that! Sometimes we get the coolest pictures unintentionaly, I know I do. The water is so crystal clear.

Oh, I would love to go to a swing night there, what a romantic evening that would be.

Great photos, I enjoyed.

Gill - That British Woman said...

I never knew about this place, I have added it to my favourites as it is a place I would like to do a day trip to. You are showing me so many places east of the city.....keep them coming!!!!

Gill