Sunday 17 August 2008

Thematic Photographic - Poignant


Catacombs of Paris, March 2007


As I entered this subterranean ossuary where over 6 million bones of people lay, I was overcome with both a deep sadness and a reverence for the lives represented here.

Due to the closure of the largest cemetery in the Les Halles district of Paris, which the locals believed was a danger to public health, the catacombs ossuary was created. Bones were dug up from the various cemeteries throughout Paris from 1780-1860 and transferred to this quarry. The first bones that arrived here were just thrown into a heap. Later on they were arranged in neat rows, 5 feet high and 80 feet deep.

I hesitated to take a photo out of respect, but wanted to capture this moment on film. What I didn't realize - I guess I didn't clearly read the fine print- was that I was not allowed to take pictures in the ossuary. An employee quickly came alongside me to correct my wrongdoing! I understood.


As I weaved my way through the mile-long maze of tunnels, lives long forgotten neatly lined both sides of the dirt path. Surprisingly, I was not claustrophobic. The tunnels were narrow, dark, damp, and eerie. The smell of death wafted throughout. I took the time to reflect, even though there was a part of me that wanted to run from the skulls gawking at me!

My thoughts turned to God - the one who created, knew and loved every one of these people who were just thrown into a heap. Was that all their lives were worth in the end? I am thankful we are more than just bones. I am thankful our spirits live on. My experience 60-feet down in the depths of the catacombs cannot be explained adequately with words. I think that is okay. It is meant to be that way. So many thoughts fill my mind even now as I recall this poignant adventure. But, I will remember in silence. Without words.

"Happy is he who is forever faced with the hour of his death and prepares himself for the end every day."
( a quote that was on one of the plaques along the way)

If you want to see more poignant adventures from amazing people, click on Carmi's blog here.

5 comments:

Tim Atkinson said...

Amazing places, just like cemetaries.

awareness said...

Karyne....your post struck me deeply. I have been reading Father John O'Donahue's books lately (have quoted them many times over the past couple of months........his thoughts and words have spurred my own) One is entitled Anam Cara (soul friend) and the latest one I'm reading is entitled Beauty which I am finding captivating.

One of the themes in both these books is about how we have all evolved from clay and that we return to the ground after death to become clay again. Our "clay" mixes with others, which makes us all connected spiritually. I love the whole concept.....and believe that there are some people in this world who are true soul friends and perhaps its because our clay has mixed in the past.

This is where my thinking is when I look at the photo you've posted and read your heartfelt words. How poignant indeed.......and what an experience to see the mixture of bones and fragments left of human beings.......all turning once again to clay.

may we find solace in the very thought.

thank you for this.

dana

Runner Girl said...

Beautiful! I am so glad that God loved all of those whose bones you walked by, and I'm glad that you and I have the priviledge of knowing Him and knowing that our lives are not wasted!

I've been absent for awhile, but I'm glad to be back. Your words always resonate with me.

A New Yorker said...

Braver than I. I live near a lot of cemeteries. I won't go. Well maybe I would but I don't see the point. The Jackie Robinson Parkway winds through a lot of the cemeteries in Queens, NY and when I have to take that road of course I go through and look at the headstones. Makes me think about all the lives that once walked the earth like we are now.

swilek said...

Dotterel...yes, I love cemetaries too, esp. over in your neck of the woods! When I was in N. Ireland this summer, I found a cemetery that had grave stones from the
1700's. We just can't comprehend that here in Canada as our country is sooo young:)

Awareness...thank you...I will have to check out Father O'Donahue's books you mentioned here. He sounds like a very interesting writer...I love how you talked about soul friends- I believe that too-my friend Shari I talk about in my posts is my soul friend. I like the idea of our clay being mixed:) After all God created man out of dirt and to dirt we leave this earth! So we are all mixed!

Have you ever read Henri Nouwen - another Catholic priest. He's an amazing writer! Thank you for your comments!

Kimberley- amen!I couldn't have said it better!