Friday 15 August 2008

Repost:Thematic Photographic - Poignant

I wanted to repost this blog I wrote years ago. Timely as our new mayor in Oshawa is asking faith groups to adopt a homeless person and I am raising funds for The Refuge in Oshawa by walking in The Coldest Night of the Year next month! 

poignant
(adjective)

evoking a keen sense of sadness or regret; causing or having a particularly sharp feeling of sadness; affecting or moving the emotions.
poignancy (noun) poignantly (adverb)




I never imagined this would be such a difficult "assignment" when Carmi posted this week's theme.


Armed with my camera, I decided to wander around downtown Oshawa today while waiting for my Community Care client, who was at a doctor's appointment.

I was born in Oshawa. Years ago, the downtown core was bustling with activity. Fondly, I recall an eclectic mix of memories from shopping in the quaint stores along the busy streets to banking at one of the large institutions at the four corners. From lining up in front of the Regent movie theatre, for what seemed like hours, to watch The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and Rocky 3 ( not all at the same time), to stopping for lunch at Cultures. From lining the street, bundled warmly to catch a glimpse of Santa and his reindeer, to trips to the doctor and tagging along with my parents to many wakes at the funeral homes.

Enter the shopping mall. A great idea for our winter climate. However, it eventually sucked the life out of our downtown, turning it into a dilapidated mess. A few of the original stores anchored the storm. Now, our city council is revitalizing our downtown core enabling it to come alive once again.

Yet, another life has always been alive and well in downtown Oshawa. The homeless or
as Pam at How God Messed Up My Religion says, "those who live outside."

They are "the invisible citizens." Broken and forgotten. Brushed aside. I forgot. It's easy to forget when you don't frequent downtown.

Today, the broken people of Oshawa who live outside captured my heart. As I was taking their picture ( which I felt very awkward doing...it was as though I was infringing on their privacy in a public place), they suddenly looked up from what they were doing and directed their gaze at me. In that moment their sad eyes spoke, "don't forget me."

I won't.








4 comments:

Barbara said...

Wow! Fortune by degrees --- but these men now have the good blessings of people who never would have seen them praying for them. Hard shots to take, sometimes hard to look at, so thank you for heightening my awareness.

Nestor Family said...

Yes, the prayers will happen and that is what is good about these photos. Amazing post, Karyne.

A New Yorker said...

It can often be sad, but sometimes they do choose this themselves and I know that doesn't make sense to you and me, but I have heard it with my own ears.

Have you seen that Oprah where they give the homeless guy $100,000 and what he does with it and where he eneds up? It's very interesting.

swilek said...

Barb, Heidi..thanks...yes, they were hard to take.
Lauren, yes, I do think some of them make that choice themselves but alot on the street do have some form of mental illness...yes, hard to understand. It was just a bit shocking to see in my hometown. I have seen street youth but not older ones. No, I haven't seen that Oprah episode..maybe I'll try to dig it up in the archives.!Thanks for the info!