Friday 1 August 2008

Thematic Photographic - Signs

It's that time of the week for Carmi's concoction. Unfortunately, Blogger won't let me link to his site today, nor will it let me even go there to leave comments...will try tomorrow.

I have always been interested in signs. I really have no idea what draws me in. It could be the graphics. It could be the creativity of the designer. It could be the colours. It could be the rich history captured in its words and meaning. It could be the humour. It could be one I have never seen before. Like a sign I saw in southern California, near the Mexican border, that warned motorists to watch for families crossing the highway. That one left me with an eerie feeling. It could be the traveller in me who is thrilled to be exploring a new place. In addition to photographing signs I find intriguing, I use signs as my travel diary, so to speak, to remind me exactly where I was. It triggers those precious memories we hold inside our brain!

One great Canadian memory is the coffee phenomenon called Tim Hortons!! Many of you are aware that I discovered our beloved Timmy's in Northern Ireland. I couldn't help myself . I had to post these pics again!

Aucher, Co. Tyrone


Belfast



I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I walked past this "boutique" in Paris filled with AMAZING vintage finds. It truly had a dark, eerie cavern-like feel as you entered but was filled to the brim with endless treasures. And the best treasure of all was the owner. Mysterious, well dressed and very French! He reluctantly agreed to get his pic taken. I couldn't let that moment slip by without capturing it on film!
We took my cousins from N. Ireland to Lancaster, Pennsylvania last summer. They couldn't believe there was a town called "Intercourse!" They sheepishly agreed to have their pic taken with a sign advertising the Intercourse Hotel - how ironic!
Made in Northern Ireland!
Gaelic
Co. Donegal






1 comment:

stefanie said...

I love signs too. My very favorite was the BRA BLOWOUT last year at Torrid in the mall. Unfortunately, I was too embarrassed to take a picture. I really regret it.

I was just in Intercourse, PA yesterday. I also drove through Blue Ball. Tee Hee.