Wednesday 23 July 2008

"Supervising" my teenage niece!

Here I am in our Nation's capital - Ottawa. My brother asked me to stay with my 17 year old niece this week while he and the rest of his family are at the cottage. I rarely get to see my niece so I am glad for this opportunity.

However, there are two things I did NOT count on:

1) They have a crazy dog that won't come near me and

2) My niece has a boyfriend.

In fact, he is over at this very moment. Unfortunately we can't find the code to unlock the wireless network so I can't use my laptop. I am left using their computer which is conveniently located in the "love nest" - also known as the basement!! I am trying to be discreet and pretending I am not watching them, but I think they may be on to me!! I am in a dilemma. I need to carry out my brother's wishes but don't want to play the parent! Hey, I'm not a parent so I don't have to play! What a relief! She knows the rules so I am praying she won't play me! I did actually say in a sweet "auntie" way that he needs to go home when I go to bed. In fact, I offered to drive him home - what a good plan!:) I can't believe I am on the other side of this teenage angst...it is fun and I must remember how I felt when I was in her shoes back in the day! They just left to go upstairs...maybe that is my cue. So good night and wish me well!

PS I just finished watching "So You Think You Can Dance." I sooooo love that show. This will sound crazy, but seeing those dancers dance does something in my spirit. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the creativity of the choreographers and it excites me to the core to see how it is played out on the stage...just beautiful and moving!

No comments: