Wednesday 2 July 2008

Brilliant Time in Ulster including meeting my first "robot" friends ( a.k.a "fake friends"...a.k.a "bloggy friends")

Thank you, thank you, thank you for praying for a safe journey. I knew people were praying for me as I was not afraid at all during the flight! I arrived all in one piece and in calm spirits on Monday morning (0635) in Belfast! Immediately, my cousins whisked me away to sample an "Ulster Fry" for breakfast with a much needed pot of coffee! I will leave you in suspense regarding what an "Ulster Fry " is when I am able to post some of my pics tomorrow!

We then headed on a wild adventure trying to locate the graves of my maternal great -grandparents and the farm/community where my grandmother grew up. I will blog more about this most interesting challenge at a later date. I am in awe at being able to experience the roots of where my family originated. I feel a connection, a link to my life in Canada.

Moving on from Antrim, we headed to meet up with my bloggy friends, Cherith and Ally in Ballymena. Kimberley at Hokey Pokey Life calls bloggy friends "robots" while Cherith and Ally call them "fake friends." Cherith and Ally are the first " robots" I have met , which was the same for them! We had a lovely visit...check out their pics here. (the June 30/08 post) Regarding their comment about Tim Hortons coffee...I couldn't believe my eyes today when I was in Belfast and came across a convenience store, Spar, that is selling Tim Hortons coffee and donuts!! I will post those pics later too...their sign says, " Tim Hortons - it can only come from Canada!"

From Ballymena we headed into Belfast to go shopping...it has become a lovely cosmopolitan centre!

Anyways, I am having a brilliant time with my friends! They are treating me royally and feeding me well!!:) I head to a seaside town called Bangor tomorrow to stay with my 90 year old second cousin!!! She is brilliant for her age! More adventures no doubt!

My jet lag is kicking in so I will sign off now. Hopefully, I can post some photos tomorrow so you can see how beautiful this country is!

As the Ulster folk say, " All the best!"

3 comments:

Aphra said...

One blogger I read (Kristy) calls them "Imaginary Internet Friends" or IIF's which I thought was quite cute. Glad you got to meet some of your IIF's :)

Hope you get lots of good sleep.

Catherine said...

Glad you're having such a great time!! Meeting bloggy friends is the best. Enjoy your time together.

swilek said...

yes, what a fun time meeting my bloggy friends...i actually saw ally on the street as we drove past while looking for his work place...we stopped the car and i ran out and greeted him!!!