Tuesday 8 July 2008

Sampling of more holiday photos from Northern Ireland. It was hard to decide which ones to post, but I will eventually post all pics on my web album!

Welcome to Beverly Hills - Bangor, Northern Ireland that is!! I stayed here with my 90 year old cousin. She is in good form and we had a lovely time. I have fond childhood memories staying here with her and her husband, Billy( Billy was a headmaster!). So, I was glad to have the opportunity to go back and relive some of those memories - minus swimming in the freezing cold sea! Margie's husband Billy used to swim in the sea here at Ballyhome everyday, even in winter and up until he was 90 years old too!
The view of the sea in the distance from Margie's house
Margie is on the left, sitting with Audrey and Ernest ( my"kissing cousins" down in Fermanagh at the farm. Audrey is Ernest's mom) in my favourite room of Margie's house that overlooks her garden! ( or backyard as we North Americans call it!) We are having tea of course! I have fond memories of sitting in this room with Billy watching cricket matches. Billy explained the rules of cricket to me, but I never caught on!! We would eat our lovely meals in this room at their antique oak table in front of the bay window. My spot would be on the chaise lounge chair that Ernest is sitting on...I LOVED that antique chaise lounge! I'm so glad she still has it!
Margie and I...doesn't' she look well for 90 years old! She is still living on her own in her house in Bangor. Bangor is a beautiful seaside town....one of my favourites in Northern Ireland. Margie was a great hostess. She wouldn't even let me help her cook our meals! She keeps her mind sharp by doing crosswords. In fact, she was my inspiration to start doing crosswords! We sat by the fire in the evenings doing crosswords together and chatting and of course stopping to watch Coronation Street!
Donagahdee Harbour and lighthouse. This is another seaside town near Bangor where Billy and I would swim!
Shells on the beach at Ballyhome, Bangor.
Sea foam and seaweed on the beach at Ballyhome. You all know I LOVE the sea so I was in my element here in Bangor!
My shadow! Can you tell it is me? Hint: orange!
More of the beach at Ballyhome...the tide was out!
A road trip around the Ards Peninsula. Here we are in Kearny.
A fishing cottage in Kearny, now a holiday cottage...I LOVE the doors in Northern Ireland!
Back to Bangor...the terraced homes overlooking the sea...most are converted into guest homes now!
A sample of one of the bright colours of the home!
More of the beach at Ballyhome
Down in Fermanagh now...this is how most farms heat their homes...coal fires!
The coal bin at Audrey's farm house!
Fresh farm eggs! Can you see the blue one? Ernest and Gail's son, Adam raises hens/chickens, so we have fresh eggs every morning! ( and fresh milk from the cows - really!!)
Look what I found again...another Timmy's in a Spar shop in Augher, a wee village in Fermanagh!
Back up in Kearny...
Back in Fermanagh at the Prentice dairy farm. I took this pic from the bathroom. In the distance you can see the milking parlour and if you look close you can see the cows lined up, ready to go and be milked!
There I am on the tractor...they still use this tractor!! The weather hasn't been great...a bit cold and rainy. But, the great thing about Ireland is you wait an hour and the sun will come out! I think I need to buy some woollies though as I only packed clothes for hot weather!
Here is Ernest and Benji, the new lamb on the farm!
One of the farm buildings...they were built in the 1800's. The solid white stone walls are about 20 inches thick!
Gail walking with Sam, their black lab, down the road in front of the farm. I'm not sure if you can tell how narrow the roads are over here in this photo...also, most of the older homes are built right on the edge of the road. Usually there is a small stone wall between!
I am having a fabulous time in this beautiful country. I feel so refreshed. The weather is great for the skin! I think some of my wrinkles have disappeared! I look forward to sharing some of my adventures here on my blog when I return to Canada! Cheerio!

4 comments:

A New Yorker said...

What a fantastic post! It feels like a travel writer wrote it to entice me to go visit. What beautiful scenary. Just awesome. So jealous. So so jealous.

Beverly said...

What a lovely tour. Beautiful photos!

carmilevy said...

I love seeing this amazing place through your eyes and pen. I'm addicted to the sea as well, and I love how it shapes and colors the communities that grow up at its edge.

You've captured that wonderfully here.

swilek said...

thanks everyone...it was a fun adventure...trying out my different camera setting too but some pics didn't work with the lighting of the day!