Sunday 20 July 2008

Thematic Photographic - "Animals" I captured while on the farm in Northern Ireland!

I'm safely back on Canadian soil! I had a brilliant holiday and will blog more about it later, but first wanted to post my "animal" entries this week. I have missed participating in my thematic photographic. If you have no idea what I am talking about then go check out Carmi's blog here. It was difficult to find the time to blog my last two weeks of holidays, so I am bursting with stories to share!

Life on the farm in Co. Fermanagh, Northern Ireland, through the eyes of the unsung heroes....
Sam, the resident "guard" dog, greeted me every morning while I slowly sipped my coffee.

Polo, the resident pony, in desperate need of a haircut!

The hens who freely gave us fresh eggs every morning!

Mama hen laying on her eggs in hopes of producing more chicks for the flock or is it herd! No chicks were born...poor mama!


Benji, the pet lamb , who greeted me every morning with a loud "b-a-a-a", while I meditatively relaxed in the soothing tub of aromatherapy bubbles! Definitely an experience I never had living in the city!





An unusual breed of a sheep we stumbled upon while hiking in Co. Donegal....


...his friend....

...this is the mother of the lamb. As we hiked along the mountain path, we heard the mother calling out to her lamb across the road, but couldn't see her. As I turned around, this is what I saw. .. the sheep standing on the edge of the cliff calling her lamb. It is difficult to see the ocean in the background as it was a bit hazy and overcast that day. But, it was an incredible sight...breathtaking really. Unfortunately, my camera didn't capture it the way I wished.

Rush hour in Co. Fermanagh! Seriously, this is a common sight...the cattle being "turned in" for milking- moving them from the field to the milking parlour...

I even got in on the action, helping to turn in the cattle!
Ernest, my cousin, thanking the driver for waiting ...
I learned quickly that cattle are inquisitive creatures. They knew I was a strange voice in their milking parlour!
I was fascinated by the whole milking operation...Hanging out in the yard after milking....gorgeous scenery!The majority of houses in the country have these grates at the end of their driveway. I learned they are for keeping the wandering, inquisitive cows out of their yard or garden as the Irish say!

















5 comments:

A New Yorker said...

That first photo of the cows in the street is fantastic.

swilek said...

thanks! it was a surreal event!

Aphra said...

Those photos are great- i especially like the sheep! I am glad you are back safe :) Let me know what your plans are when you are in K-town!

Digital Polaroids said...

WOW!!! Your black dog EXACTLY like my Pity!

swilek said...

digital...i love black labs...this one, Sam, was great and calm ...we had coffee in the mornings together! hehehe!