Thursday 24 July 2008

My new mantra for the day!

Okay. So, here's the thing. I had to come up with a new mantra today. Are you ready? For you parents out there, this mantra will not surprise you. But for moi, a woman with no children, this is a mantra I need to repeat over and over again while "supervising" my teenage niece. Did I mention she is a TEENAGER? Here goes......

IT IS NOT ABOUT ME!!!!!!

Did I also mention I offered to drive the boyfriend home ( about 20 minutes west of my niece's house) last night well past my bedtime? Well, the said boyfriend didn't know his way home via the car because he always takes the bus. Thus, we got lost. And I don't know Ottawa well at all so I was of little help except I knew when we saw a sign for Stittsville, we had gone too far. Yup. Lost in the middle of nowhere, no cars, no gas stations in sight, in the pouring rain. I made him call his mom and wake her up to help us out. We FINALLY arrived at his house.

The adventure didn't end there. My niece directed me home except we got lost again. I should have learned my lesson the first time we got lost. I should have asked the boyfriend's mom how to get home! So, I made my niece wake up the boyfriend's mom again. We made it safely home - an hour and a half later.

Did I ALSO mention that morning my niece woke me up EXTREMELY early with all her banging of doors and the dog barking, etc? SO, I was so looking forward to sleeping in this morning. Yup. You guessed correctly. It didn't happen. Thus, my mantra was formed:

IT'S NOT ABOUT ME!!!!!

I was in a deep sleep dreaming of George Clooney when I was startled by the dog barking loudly and a frantic rapping at my bedroom door. Yup. You guessed it. My niece. She was in a tither because she locked herself out of her bedroom. Why they have locks on the door is beyond me. Anyways, she was crying and was requesting my help to get the door open. She needed her books for school and needed to be on time or apparently she wouldn't be able to write her exam tomorrow.

IT'S NOT ABOUT ME!!!

All kidding aside for one moment...
I did have to say a prayer to God. I prayed for strength to help me NOT be frustrated with my niece even though I wanted to scream! I prayed that I would be able to let my needs go and focus on my niece. I rarely get to see her so I wanted to be able to help her in a constructive way. I also didn't want her to see me grumpy. I am here for her not me. I have the whole summer to sleep in! Finally, I prayed we would get the door open before panic set in...well, it had already set in and thus her dog was in a panic too! Yikes!

First, I got her to put the dog outside and that seemed to calm the situation. Next, I asked her to get me a coat hanger. What was I thinking? I am no thief and have no idea how to pick a lock. I tried the credit card thing too. I guess I watch too many movies. Mission failed. Of course. Then I got a brilliant idea....

Call the parents. Apparently there was a spare key hidden away somewhere. So, after my sister-in-law revealed the secret location to me ONLY, I managed to open her bedroom door. She was eternally grateful and was able to collect her belongings and make it to school on time! Whew! A close call!!

IT'S NOT ABOUT ME!

I'm glad I made that choice this morning. And, I am so glad I am single! I like being a bit selfish!


2 comments:

Aphra said...

This post came through HILARIOUSLY big in Bloglines (way worse than viewing it through blogger) that I was laughing so hard I was crying and I couldn't even read what you had written. Pretty funny any way you slice it!

I gave the tape to AL and asked him repeatedly to remember to give it to you as I'm not sure what either your schedule or my schedule looks like for Fri/Sat. I wanted to make sure that you got the tape in case I didn't see you! Of course, I'm still not entirely sure you'll get the tape, but I tried...

swilek said...

hey aphra..thanks..i will pick the tape up from shari. ..appreciate it...i accidently saw an article while i was browsing people mag. and know who she picked which i figured but am anxious to see how it all played out! i'm still trying to fix the post!