Monday 28 July 2008

I'm Amazed!

I know I am computer illiterate but thought I could figure out how to upload a youtube video for ya'll to watch. But, I couldn't figure it out so you will have to watch it here. Let's hope this link works!

The video is of the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir singing "I'm Amazed." My church choir sang this song in the spring. I LOVED this song and everytime we sang it, I was moved to tears. I hope you take the time to listen to this song!

I love the way music reaches the core of our being and speaks an unique language to our soul. It is able to reach into the depths where nothing nor anyone else is able to go - except Jesus. I love the way music inspires us to action of some sort. I love the way music triggers locked away or long forgotten memories. I admire those artists who have this incredible gift of vulnerably creating lyrics and sounds from their life journey that reaches out to the human race.

"I'm Amazed" has played a significant role in my journey of faith recently. Ya'll know I had - yes I said had- this fear of flying AND of driving on the 401. ( our extremely busy Trans Canada highway) Well, I am happy to report I have conquered both of these fears in the last 3 weeks! YAY! It was only through the prayers of my friends and family and of actively "casting all my anxiety on Jesus because He cares for me!" And "the peace of God which transcends all understanding guarded my heart and my mind..." 1 Peter 5:7 and Phil. 4

As I was driving home from Ottawa/Kingston ( I made a pit stop overnight in Kingston to part -tay with my sista's there!) , I popped in my Brooklyn Tab cd. As I feared, I encountered an INTENSE rain/lightening storm where I wasn't able to see out my window. This is one of the reasons I hate driving the 401 between my home and Kingston - there is usually unsettled weather. BUT, God was good. I was only 1 km( 2.2 miles for my American friends!) from Belleville so I was able to pull off the highway and shop at Walmart for about a half hour until the storm passed by. During that long 1 km, "I'm Amazed" was playing and God's peace completely surrounded me. I was calm and not in panic mode! Tears streamed down my face as I reflected on how amazing God really is...I'm amazed that He cares enough for me to listen to my feeble, insignificant prayers about my driving and flying issues. He cares. He provides ways to help conquer those fears. I AM AMAZED that He loves me! I AM AMAZED that He cares. What an incredible gift!

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand..." Isaiah41:10

8 comments:

Aphra said...

Now play I'm amazed and try to get the tape out of the machine! lol.

I think your fears are quite rational ones. On the 401 people are crazy. Well, people are crazy in the city too- I see so many almost-accidents and this is only Kingston!- but on the 401 they are crazy and FAST, which is exponentially more on the crazy! And there are obstacles on the 401. When I drove it (before we started using the 407) I regularly encountered ladders. Ladders! Who would have thought? But what is it that workmen often have to carry around? Makes sense when ya think about it.

I am SOOO glad you have conquered the fears though!

swilek said...

hehehe!! i will try that Aphra! interesting about the ladder encounters...i'll have to notice next time i'm on the 401...i know i encounter blown out transport tires lots!

Jules said...

FYI: To upload YouTube....
1. go to the selection you want
2. Look on the left side of the screen near the top for "Embed"
3. Copy the HTML code you see under it.
4. Come back to your blog and paste it in the post screen - under the EDIT HTML part - not the COMPOSE area (check at the top right side of the post screen).

If you still can't do it, e-mail me and I'll walk you through it, if you like.
Good luck! :)

Karen said...

I am really enjoying reading about you and your faith in God. There are too many blogs that are foul and negative!

Heather said...

Oooooh, I loooooooove Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir music!! We sing a LOT of them in our church choir (actually, hearing our church's choir sing "Blessed Be the Lord" is one of the reasons why Hubby and I decided to attend and subsequently join this church!) and I love them ALL!

My favorite that we did this past year was Days of Elijah. What an awesome song to sing, and to listen to (as sung by the BTC).

A good portion of my iPod's memory is taken up by my BTC playlist! :D

Cheers!

One- said...

I love listening to my praise and worship songs. Sometimes when I am driving, I want to lift my hands, and close my eyes. Uh, hello, your driving....not a good idea. So instead, I just keep singing.

Breanne said...

Thanks - that was beautiful. Congrats on SISTS!

elizabeth said...

What an awesome testimony this story is! I totally agree about music - so many times in church when you lift your voice in song, close your eyes, lift your arms...ah it is so good and the tears flow. God is so good and so awesome.