Friday 26 September 2008

The case of the origin of angles

A cool, misty morning greeted me as I set out in search of Carmi's assignment - angles. I knew exactly where I would locate them...my grade 8 math class. Is this their origin? Case solved! Nancy Drew would be proud.


Totally unrelated to the search involving angles at school today, I couldn't resist taking this picture of "S." I think she looks absolutely beautiful here. It captures her innocence and peaceful spirit. Her native tongue is Hindi and she has been trying to teach me to say, "Hi, how are you?" I am not a good student as I can't remember a word of it! She giggles at my many attempts! You can only imagine what I sound like! I even tried to put my newfound knowledge of the Hindi language into practice at my local Macs convenience store the other day when I greeted the owner. He giggled too!

All kidding aside... Isn't it AMAZING that this student with autism is teaching ME! A beautiful thing!








5 comments:

Mojo said...

namaste| aj aap kaisi hain?

Hindi doesn't "romanize" well. Too many sounds that don't have exact English equivalents. So it's difficult to represent the sounds (and thus the words) in the Roman alphabet. Transliteration schemes vary widely too which doesn't help.

But lucky for you you have a very patient guru. (Wonderful photo of her by the way!) That will make it much easier. I'm still trying to pick it up on my own, with predictable results. I might be able to ask for directions, but I'm not sure I could understand the answer.

You might hop over to Mona's blog in Agra. She's a wonderful storyteller and helps me out a lot with my translations and cultural notes for the serial 55 Flash Fiction I've been running on Fridays.

Good luck!

Runner Girl said...

Tag! You're it. Go to Hokey Pokey for instructions!

Unknown said...

I just stopped in to say Thank You for stopping by for the BATW tour the other day. I really enjoyed having so many visitors.

Runner Girl said...

It is a beautiful thing! I have found that when we just show up, and do what God tells us to do, and we think we are serving others...He is really allowing us to be molded and blessed and taught by those we think we are serving! What an awesom privilge you have!

swilek said...

@mojo..thanks for the tips...i am a visual person so it helps to see it written...i'm not sure if my student can write it out..i should ask her tomorrow!!

@ thanks Evi and Kimberley...thinking and praying for you two today:) Evi, yes, we must have crossed paths before in Edmonton..where did you go to school?