Wednesday 24 September 2008

Two encouraging letters and a bit of nature in Panamerica?

I first met Andrea on a Missions Trip I helped organize and lead to this area of Tijuana, Mexico back in March 1992. I was working for a youth organization in Edmonton, AB called Youth For Christ and 14-year old Andrea was in our program. Immediately, I knew Andrea was full of leadership potential- we just had to empower her self confidence!

For many of the high school students and leaders, this trip was life changing in a myriad of ways. The home you see in this photo was a typical family dwelling in poverty stricken Panamerica, otherwise known as the garbage dump. Nature was trying to break through, but unfortunately the dry, dusty and bleak prevailed. ( okay, I may be stretching it for the final day of this week's nature theme over at Carmi's blog!!) Our team came to help hand out groceries to the families here, then feed, bathe, de-lice, (or de-louse?) clothe and then play an assortment of games with the freshly clean, fresh smelling, beaming children! Amidst the bleakness, there was an outpouring of contagious joy!


Our team bonded during this experience. So, over the next few years I lived in Edmonton, Andrea and I, along with another team member, Janet, continued building our friendship. I was also fortunate to have been able to connect with Andrea's family who cared for me while I was so far away from home!


In the years I worked with high school students, I would occasionally wonder if I was making a difference in their lives. Yesterday, I received a touching email from Andrea, who is now 32-years old, which put my wonder to rest and caused me to say a prayer of thankfulness to God,


"Hi Karyne, It is so great to see you[ on facebook]!! I will be married on October 17, 2008. And I thought of you as I have been planning my wedding. And want you to know that you were a very instrumental part of who I am today. I am forever greatful for you. Since we've been out of touch you've just come to mind unfortunately. It would be so cool if you could join us...but I know I am thinking of you too late. Anyhow sending you lots of love."


On the same day, I received a letter from the little girl I sponsor through Compassion Canada who lives in Honduras. I have been a sponsor since 1992 and have seen 4 girls move through this incredible program. I recently have been matched up with Paola. She is only 6-years old (1st grade) so her mom writes the letters. I was humbled by the following translated correspondence,

"Dear sponsor Karyne...We her parents are very thankful with the project for all this, also for the short meals and the children receive good attention and give the children what they like best. They are well because they are concerned of the children health and they have a doctor and a dentist who always checked them. We don't know how to thank all the project's sponsors and we just have to pray the Lord for the life of each one of you. May the Lord keep you always in His path wherever you go. Keep on with Jesus Christ always, he is our rick [I think she means rock!], our helper because without Him our life is nothing. I want to ask you to answer this letter to my daughter because she is anxious to have a photo and letter from her sponsor. Well, bye may the Lord bless you. Paola"

It made me realize I need to be more diligent in communicating with this precious one. It is easy to forget in the busyness of life. But, I know these children eagerly anticipate letters from their sponsors. They treasure the gifts we send. One day I hope to be able to visit my child but for now I will dig out that photo of me and write Paola a letter! I know it will make a difference!

3 comments:

A New Yorker said...

I know you just want to make me cry while I am at work, right?

Unknown said...

That is SO meaningful. I am sure you feel like the blessings have come full circle...what a beautiful gift to receive so many years later!

Unknown said...

oh...and sometimes I wonder if you and I haven't met at some time...you really look familiar. I am from Edmonton and if Andrea is 32 and she was 14 back then...I would have been 18 back then. I was involved with Campus Crusade for Christ...maybe our groups crossed paths...who knows hey?