Saturday 26 January 2008

A Portrait of my Mother!


Since my previous post talked about my dear "S", I thought this would be a good time to tell the story of the above picture I came across when I was cleaning out my files last weekend!


"S" drew this portrait of my mother two years ago when she was in grade 5. This portrait created quite the frenzy in the class. Before I arrived to the classroom one afternoon, "S" had shown her drawing to the majority of the students ( most of whom are black, mixed and East Indian - I tell you that fact because it provides context for the story). So, when I arrived, immediately I was bombarded with the following question, " Miss Whalen, is your mom black?" Their puzzled looks caught me off guard as I had no idea why they were asking me about my mom. Quickly, I figured it out. I saw my dear "S" waving a picture eagerly in her hand. The title said, "Miss Whalen's mom."

I instantly understood the confusion. You see my students knew I was white as snow yet according the "S"'s picture, I should be mixed like creme caramel or darker brown like milk chocolate!!

"S" has met my mother and knows she is white, but in her world all mother's should look like her own! This portrait of my mother is cherished!!



No comments: