Friday 19 September 2008

Who will be our next Prime Minister of Canada? (My first political rant on my blog)

Just like our friends to the south of us, (I tried to be creative using the red, white and blue of their flag, so the words you can't see say "to the"!!) we are having ourselves an election here in Canada. October 14, 2008 is our big day. I just received my election card in the mail today. I have no idea who I will vote for so I need to do some careful research-and do it quickly I might add. Our Prime Minister didn't give us much time unlike our US neighbours who have been campaigning for over a year! ( Our Prime Minister just called the election on my birthday!) I am disillusioned with all the party leaders yet do want to make an informed vote this Federal Election. Canadian elections have to be one of the quietest election campaigns in the entire world - really we are pretty apathetic as a whole nation.

Don't worry, I am pointing the finger at myself as well.

I heard this GREAT analogy today from the teacher in the grade 3 class where I work in the mornings. She wisely cautioned her students to stop "pointing their fingers" at fellow students for mistakes made before taking a good look at their own life. Using her pointed hand as a prop, she showed the students that for every pointed finger there are 3 others facing back towards YOU. A compelling visual reminder of how we should treat our fellow human beings. Thanks Dar!

Immediately, I thought about the story in the Bible of the adulterous woman who was brought before the temple courts where Jesus was teaching. The leaders ( teachers of the Law) wanted her stoned according to the Law and taunted Jesus to see his reaction. His response was this, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." Low and behold, no one threw a stone at her! In fact, they retreated and left the temple. Jesus then spoke to the woman and asked, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" She replied, "No one sir." He then declared, "Then neither do I condemn you. Go now and leave your life of sin."
(John 8)

Great wisdom admidst the political turmoil of His day.

Yet I digress. Back to the point of my post...

I have always seemed to take a "haphazzard" approach to politics. One of the many reasons being these questions that have plagued my mind:
Does my vote even matter- really matter? Is my voice even heard? Are any politicians making a difference in running our country? We never seem to be happy with any government in power? We always seem to find fault with every Prime Minister?

Other reasons for my apathy? Stripped bare...Fear. Fear of not clearly understanding the issues, fear that my decision could be wrong and alter the course of history, ( okay, so I'm a bit dramatic here!!) fear that our country will end up in a greater mess than when it all began on July 1, 1867. Fear that ends in surrender.

NOW, I am determined to turn my apathy into educated interest.

After all, my female Canadian forefathers sacrificed a great deal so I could have the right to vote TODAY. I can't give up. I can't let fear prevent me from taking a stand for what I believe in and ensuring the safety of these beliefs. My vote DOES matter and DOES make a difference. I just need to make certain I know what I believe and what each party/leader believes.

A friend of mine recently sent me an email full of great questions to ponder in helping me to assess these beliefs:

*Should corporations serve people or vice versa?
*Should Canadian politicians work to protect and strengthen the Canadian economy first or grow the global economy first?
*Do you agree with Trudeau's quote, "The government has no business in the bedrooms of the nation?"
*Should tackling environmental problems aggressively and intelligently be a big part of our politics?
*Are women, GLBT's and minorities deserving of equal rights and equal pay with everyone else?
*Would you agree that the best economic policies help protect the poor and grow and protect the middle class?

In addition, there are other issues close to my heart, such as the future of the education system and its affects on our children.

I have alot of homework to do so I better sign off and get busy!

On October 14, 2008, I will stand my ground and boldly make the best decision for the future welfare of our country.


4 comments:

A New Yorker said...

Thank you for sharing this. Hope more is to come. Not so sure I am liking the questions asked of you, as they seem very ideologically agendized. This is not to say i don't agree with what many points are trying to be made. I think there are more important things on the table right now. Have you seen the links on my site to Phyllis Chesler? Please read her bio and some of her blog or site. Oh and come over tonight to my blog!!!

Anonymous said...

It's bad election is coming now, during the worst days of financial crisis in the USA. I think many voters will be concerned only about this topic and they will forget there are also many other issues to be considered! I am glad you see more than oil prices and real estate crisis :)

Take care
Elli Davis

swilek said...

@lauren...thanks...i will check out phyllis

@toronto real estate agent....i agree it is bad timing for the country but i'm sure our PM has his agenda:) hopefully your industry will pick up in the future...the real estate market is tough in N. Ireland right now where my cousins live...a good time to buy but not sell ..also,developer have empty brand new homes built all over the countryside..it seems they build first then try to sell not like here where most developers sell first then build...it is a sad state over there.

Anonymous said...

I'd be careful of those questions- they appear to come from some crazy left-winger. :)
Yes, they are agendized, because that's what politics is all about. What is your agenda? What is the agenda of a political party, both historically and in the present? What should a Christian's duty be re: political involvement- an attempt to reflect as closely as possible the core values of Christ, i.e. the sermon on the mount, or something else? I keep trying to remember that the nature of our political involvement is a form as witness as clear as sharing our faith, and sometimes, actions being more important than words, even more.