Thursday 3 April 2008

A budding writer? You decide!!!

I am soooo excited! I won my first ever essay contest!! I discovered this cool online vintage t- shirt company, Vintage Vantage, via my bloggy friend Ally and his wife Cherith.

In the above photo, I am modelling my first ever Vintage Vantage t-shirt! Wouldn't I make a great tourism ambassador for Canada!!!? lol!! So, I was browsing their sale rack when I found this shirt.

I HAD to have it! Not only was the colour calling my name, but the logo!! I still crack up laughing at the play on words!:) Wearing this t-shirt at school would help reinforce parts of speech to my students in a creative way! I was about to order it when I came across this "Top Shelf " essay contest. So without further ado...here is my winning "essay" and the email notifying me of the good news...


hey karyne-
thanks very much for your pre-amble, amble, and post-amble!you win you win!lemme know your shirt size, and where it's going one more time so I'm sure and I'll get a shirt out to you...get back at me with anything else at all and I'm here for you...for reals

james
www.vintagevantage.com

Top Shelf Essay Contest

Pre-amble:
I wrote a song for the occasion to the tune of "The Brady Bunch Theme Song" ( Frank DeVol & Sherwood Schwartz)Don't worry, I didn't plagiarize. I acknowledged the original writers of the song! I hope you enjoy my 124 word paraphrased rendition. Sing it almost 4 times and it will meet the 468 word requirement!I have also enclosed a pic of my very first VV t-shirt! Wouldn't you agree I make a great Canadian tourism ambassador in your t-shirt?!!!:):) Without further ado, here is my song:

Here's the story of a lovely Canadian teacher
Who was busy teaching her students the parts of speech
All of them were keen on learning like their mothers
The youngest ones were like a peach

Here's the story of a vintage t-shirt company
Who was busy as a tribe of its own
They were trying to bring back the fresh in regular t-shirts
With the help of many good people they were not alone

Then the one day when the teacher met this cool company
She totally knew they were a perfect match
That Camp Cool would have a t-shirt to help her teach the parts of speech
"Similes are like metaphors" what a catch!
That's the way they all became the perfect batch!

Post amble:
Oh how I long to wear your "Similes are like Metaphors" VV T-shirt! It was meant for me to wear! It is calling out my name!! Like a baby calling for its mother!!! Please pick me as the winner of your top shelf contest!!!:):) If you do not choose me, please let me know ASAP so I can order "Similes are like Metaphors" before they are all gone!!!:) Thanking you in advance!
From one of your fellow tribeswoman at Camp Cool,
Karyne
PS Surely I am at 468 words with pre and post ambles!!:):)

3 comments:

Aphra said...

Your post cracked me up. No wonder you won! Congratulations!

swilek said...

Thanks Aphra!

•J•O•A•N• said...

congratulations! that site is awesome... i wasted a good bit of time on it. so exciting that you won!