Saturday 19 April 2008

Walk the Talk!

A co-worker of mine recently asked me,

“Karyne, why do you participate in organized religion?”

“That’s a good question,” I replied!

It is a question with many layers.
Yet, I knew the inferences he was trying to formulate.

With candor, I proceeded to share my frustrations with the church. I hate the hypocrisy and legalism too. However, I went on to explain that in spite of the many negative issues of “organized religion,” the positive benefits prevail. I was clear to indicate that my focus is on my relationship with Jesus, not on all the other “stuff.” That is why I can participate in “organized religion.”

I am actually surprised I haven’t given up. I have experienced some nasty spiritual abuse and a crisis in my faith. After high school graduation, I attended Torchbearer Bible School in Holsby, Sweden. It was an AMAZING experience, yet my faith experienced a crisis! Prior to Holsby, I had never questioned my faith before as there had been no reason to question. Enter the Swedish people into the equation. They are intellectual people who want logical reasons to believe in God. I was forced to challenge my thinking and knowledge on the tough questions of the faith they were asking:

Prove God exists.
How do you know your religion is the right one.
Why does God allow suffering.
And the list goes on….

I couldn’t give them clear answers. I began to doubt what I believed. I wanted to give up on Christianity. In spite of my doubts, I KNEW at the core of my being God was truth. I found my way back. God welcomed me with open arms!

Why have I continued to be loyal to Christianity, to “organized religion?” The answer lies in a passage of scripture I read today from Romans 11,

“They’re holding on, not because of what they think they’re going to get out of it, but because they’re convinced of God’s grace and purpose in choosing them. If they were only thinking of their own immediate self-interest, they would have left long ago.” (The Message)

I am convinced God is truth. I am convinced of God's grace and His purpose. I continue to keep my eyes focused on Him!

After my conversation finished with my co-worker, I realized more than ever that we Christians need to smarten up and "walk our talk." Our track record has not been good. Show God is truth. GENUINELY show God's AMAZING grace. Stop pretending and ...

"Love from the centre of who you are; don't fake it." (The Message)

2 comments:

Bar L. said...

Wow, Karyne, great post. Did you write this just for me :) I have been struggling with my faith off and on for several years and feel like God is simply not there. I know he's there for so many of my friends, but I don't know if he's there for me. But until I am sure, I'll keep looking for him and hoping for the best.

swilek said...

I'm glad I touched your heart...keep pressing on...keep singing!!:) It helps!:) I won't give the "pat" answers for your faith journey but will say to keep singing and praying out to Him!! As Amy Grant sings, "you will find the answers at the end of the road." Take care and keep holding on!