Saturday 30 October 2010

Chantal


I could feel them. They were rising up quickly ready to spill down my cheeks. Tears. Vulnerably showing my deep seeded emotions. My lips were quivering. I was trying to hold my breath for fear of being embarrassed, yet somehow shallow gasps escaped. I finally allowed my body to be free to express myself. I knew I was safe, I was free in that space with Chantal Kreviazuk. I was reacting honestly to the song, "In this Life," she was belting out in this awe-inspiring, empowering way. Chantal is raw, honest and one of the most wisest woman I have ever met. She is a gifted songwriter who gets to the core of our humanness.

Chantal was the guest artist for the Imagine Film Festival at Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences. She is an advocate for CMHA raising awareness for mental illness, trying to stamp out the stigma that surrounds mental health and sharing that knowledge through the arts. She says, "I want people to realize that we're all born with unique challenges. When we isolate people because of their differences, the fabric of our society is compromised." You can read more here. Chantal has a close family member who wrestles with mental illness so her perspective is a unique one and one I can relate to, which is the reason I reacted so strongly to this song.

I experienced a God-moment with Chantal that night. I will forever cherish the moment. For me, it was "church"-well how church should be. "Broken people NOT pretending to be broken." (Remember this post?) There was an aura of raw honesty, respectability, love and freedom. Connection. She gets my perspective and I can't tell you the relief I experienced in my soul. Also, she gave me hope, in the form of art, to express my outlook of mental illness because as she said, "it is complicated."

My friends and I had the privilege of meeting Chantal after the concert. She is SO down-to-earth and real. A people person for sure who LOVES connecting with her audience. She took time with everyone to chat, sign autographs and take pictures. She appeared to be in NO hurry. A beautiful evening that has since spurred many ideas in my head on how I can advocate. She is my kind of girl that Chantal!


Chantal Kreviazuk and I at the Imagine Film Festival, Whitby, ON, Oct. 20, 2010

No comments: