Monday 11 October 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

Today we Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving. I have had a fabulous Thanksgiving weekend, especially savouring my dad's tantilizing turkey and my mom's palatable pumpkin pie. (I do think she makes the best pumpkin pie!) Tonight I am off to friends for our annual soccer game and pizza feast! Thanksgiving is an opportunity to give thanks for all the good things in our lives, the hard times in our lives that have made us stronger, the freedoms we abundantly enjoy and the opportunity to gather with family and friends celebrating each other.

However, for me Thanksgiving means more than these things. My parents have always extended pure, unconditional hospitality to those without family close by or those who are less fortunate each year. I am grateful for their unselfish spirit of generosity. It is a beautiful gift. I have to confess I am a wee bit more selfish than they. I'm not sure how that happened along the path of my life's journey! Don't get me wrong, I love entertaining, I love people but am a bit more protective of my time.

This year, we enjoyed two different sets of people at our dinner table throughout the weekend, one planned and one unexpected- late last night actually. Weary was I when I climbed into bed, yet somehow I felt refreshed and rejuevenated! I care about people, I love helping people and I love hearing their life story. Thanksgiving has taught me to go back to that place where I know the core of my being is unselfish and open to the lives surrounding me. When we give in this way, we are blessed beyond our expectations. Thankful am I.

No comments: