Sunday 24 October 2010

Inside the mind of two children with autism!

I have the privilege of working with some amazing students with special needs. Sometimes I think they teach us more about ourselves than from what we teach them. One boy ("Q") in grade 5 who has autism, wrote a "get well" letter to his classmate (Tristan) who broke his femur while racing his dirt bike. Tristan came to visit the class last week during his recuperation. "Q" asked if he could read his letter to Tristan. "Q" stood up, adjusted his wire-rimmed glasses and in a strong, enunciated voice read the following:Priceless!


A few weeks ago, I walked past our teachers resource room and the following is what captured my attention:

I knew EXACTLY who the culprit was and let out a laugh! It is not graffiti. It is the handiwork of another student with autism. This girl is not as high functioning as "Q," but she is smart and very special nonetheless! She has given us an opportunity to "climb into her skin." Except I have no idea how to interpret her missive! Priceless!

No comments: