Wednesday 31 March 2010

Tragedy in my old neighbourhood

Amidst tragedy there is hope. I do believe that. I want to believe that. However, this mindset is difficult for me at times when I see stories like this involving the teenagers in our community. This stabbing took place near the public high school where I graduated. It is at good neighbourhood. This incident, murder actually, rattled our community. No longer are high school fights with just fists. They usually involve weapons of some kind. Why are so many young people today filled with so much anger. I deal with this anger on a regular basis in my job. It saddens me. It frustrates me. I see apathy. I see disrespect. I see deep hurt. I see fear. Even so, I do see a refreshing honesty. I can get bogged down and overwhelmed with the negative side of what I experience in my job and forget the teenagers who are making a difference.

It was a rough week. Yet, I was so encouraged and blessed by the following email I received from one of my former students at GCC, a private university preparatory high school:

"Hello Miss W.!
It is so good to hear from you. I just have to tell you that I still think about how much you made my time at GCC better. I am so grateful for you driving me to church on Sundays and really reaching out to all of us girls back in High School. You made my time at GCC so much better! Thank you!
I am still living in California.. . I have been working as a high school teacher for two boys who are professional surfers and due to their travel schedules cannot attend a traditional school (yes, they have a rough life -eh?). It is a great job and my students are very nice. ..
I just love Face Book - it is so fun to get connected with people from years past! Thank you once again for everything you did for all of us girls at GCC. I can't imagine how different my first experience living away from home would have been, if it were not for your kindness!"

There is hope amidst tragedy. I pray this generation of teenagers will make it safely to the other side unscathed.

No comments: