Thursday 18 March 2010

An Ogre I am not!

The bathroom of the dental office in Kingston, ON, July 2009

People say the stupidest things. Stupid isn't really a refined word in my opinion but it is appropriate in this case. Don't they remember mama's invaluable instruction when we were youngsters ready to tackle the world, "if you can't say anything nice, don't say it at all." Quite regularly I get asked, "what is wrong with you, why aren't you married?" A very stupid question in my opinion. What do they expect me to say? "I'm really an Ogre underneath these clothes? The other day was no exception. I was driving a Community Care client to her doctor when she kept drilling me as to why I am still single. She tried every angle and wouldn't shut up. But being the polite Canadian that I am, I just smiled and said, "I have NO idea." I do believe most people mean well, but it is not a question you should be asking. It makes me feel like some kind of failure, which I AM NOT. What stupid questions have you been asked?

4 comments:

A New Yorker said...

Next time ask what is wrong with them that they felt the need to get married.

swilek said...

@ LaurAyn sounds like a good plan!

Ken said...

I don't remember what he said exactly, but my Sr. Pastor (with me beside him) commented on my singleness from the pulpit and basically tried to get someone to date me... Yea...it was fun. =)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Sometimes I wonder what is going on in a person's mind that they would ask such a "stupid" question....!
That really p.o.'s me.....And there is truly no good come-back line to a question like that....UGH!