Sunday 14 March 2010

eternal youth

That's me, a youthful, 19 year old in Pisa, Italy, December 1986, eating bread, cheese and wine on the steps of the "Leaning Tower of Pisa."

I love people watching. I also love eavesdropping in on the conversations of strangers. Last night was no exception.

I took the GO Train into Toronto to see my friend perform in the "Latin American Music Ensemble" at Uof T
's Faculty of Music. As usual, I had quite the adventure on the train.

Sitting behind me were a group of rambunctious teenage boys excited about their trip to the motor cross event at the
Skydome , which is now called "The Rogers Centre." But I prefer to use the original name because it describes the unique domed stadium.

Anyways, I had no problem tuning into their gossip.
No surprise it centered around farting and sex. I was most interested in one lad's dilemma with his girlfriend. He seemed quite upset, even seemingly remorseful, over the fact she was mad at him. I thought to myself, "wow, this guy has a sensitive side." My assumptions were farther from the truth. His words,
" yea, her being mad at me last night meant I didn't get laid," told the whole story!

He continued to deliberate the liabilities of unprotected sex speaking at length about abortion. This topic sparked a naive (in my opinion) dialogue amongst the lads which went something like this:

Lad 1: "My girlfriend and I are prepared. But, if she gets pregnant it is free to have an abortion anyways."
Lad 2: " No it's not free."
Lad 1 and Lad 3: "Yes it is."
Lad 4:
"No, it costs $70."
Lad2: " That is only if you have a health card." (my thought here: doesn't everyone, especially these teenage boys living at home and in Ontario have a health card)
Lad 2:
" It costs $300 without a health card."
Lad 1&3: " S. had an abortion in Toronto last week and she's okay."

The conversation quickly switched to another topic.

Ah, *sigh* the life- and mind- of adolescent males!


On my way home, I had equally exciting conversations going on around me. A 60 year old drunk, polite, special needs man was discussing with his buddy about this "cougar who hit on him tonight!" She must have been like 80 years old! The entire train car got a play by play.
Then, a drunk 50 year old had the entire train car singing Chicago tunes! But I wasn't interested in these conversations.

Why you ask.

I was busy catching the eye of the train ambassador. He was sooo cute and kept staring at me. We kept making eye contact. Eventually we spoke snippets of wisdom to each other. I thought he was flirting with me!

Once again, my assumptions were farther from the truth! Just as I was about to exit the train at my stop, he spoke to me in his deep, sexy voice,
" you remind me of a former high school teacher of mine. She was great and I loved her."

WHHAAAATTT!
I thought he was going to ask for my phone number!
I thought I still looked young enough for this hot, train ambassador to hit on me. What a fool I am! Cougar I am not! Maybe I should have made eye contact with the 60 year old drunk special needs man! I chuckled to myself, and told him I actually work in the education sector as a Teacher's Assistant (Educational Assistant is my formal title). He thought that was great! At that instant, we bid each other farewell.

In my mind, I still feel I am basking in the glory of the fountain of eternal youth and that is what matters!


3 comments:

A New Yorker said...

It's very sad to read the BOYS comments. Women bear the brunt of this laissez-faire attitude. The conversation really needs to be brought to what you showed here on your blog today. Boys who grow up to be men with this belief and behavior. If we nipped it in the bud from the time they are teens we wouldn't have to fight in my own country about abortions and healthcare.

swilek said...

it is a laissez-faire attitude and also their info is wrong. i believe our health care does not cover abortions. i also realized there are probably more teen pregnancies out there than i thought, that are ending in abortion.

swilek said...

i also meant to say they are taking no responsibility for their "actions"...it is all about them..thus the "i didn't get laid comment" which is so sad. no concern for the girlfriend, just supplying their needs. i think partly-and not to excuse men- they are wired that way...it's a tough "behaviour" to change