Saturday 28 February 2009

Last link

**UPDATED PHOTOS **

"If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance."
George Bernard Shaw






Traipsing through the charming Fermanagh, Northern Ireland countryside in search of my ancestry brings joy to my soul. Linking to my past is essential for me to understand part of who I am and why my family functions in the manner it does. I embrace the "skeletons" as well as the honour my family embodies in the community.



Archie Crozier lived on the farm across the road from my maternal grandfather's farm until his death yesterday. He was my last link to my grandfather's family. No more yarns while sipping tea nestled in front of the peat -stoked fire in his cozy, warm kitchen. I adore the scent of the peat fires diffusing through the crisp air of Northern Ireland. Breathing in this essence is refreshing and makes me feel alive.




The peat, or "turf " fields





The village hasn't really changed from when my grandfather was born back in 1898. This amazes me, especially coming from a city in such a young country that is constantly changing and growing. I can't describe how it felt to walk the same roads my grandfather walked. To wander around my grandfather's farm which is still basically the same - only a few minor renovations have been made, like thatched roofs on the barns were replaced with tin. The stone farmhouse has been mended and is still perched on the hill overlooking the village of Kilskerry. The lush, green rolling hills separated by stone walls are a sight to behold. Breathtaking. I can visualize my grandfather guiding his donkey, loaded with bails of hay, up the long, winding drive to the barn.



I found a pic of this winding drive up to my grandfather's farm. It was taken from the car in the pouring rain. This entrance is right across the road from the entrance to Archie's farm.
Once again another photo taken from the car due to the pouring rain. My grandfather's farm is the cream house in the distance. These pictures do not capture the beauty of this countryside. In past visits to Northern Ireland, I took some wonderful photos - before digital. I was able to capture the view from the farm which is phenomenal! Maybe I will scan them one day:)

The train station, Bundoran Junction, where my grandfather caught the train to the seaside is still standing. The tracks are gone, but I can still hear the sound of the steam engine pulling out of the station crowded with excited passengers headed for a day at the sea.


The Church of Ireland cemetery is home to two of my great aunts and one great uncle who all died as young children. My grandfather never spoke of these siblings. I made this discovery from browsing through the church records at the Manse.


One thing I have observed about the Irish, or maybe it is just my family, is even though they are incredibly friendly and hospitable, they are also very private. My grandparents rarely spoke of the "old country." Thus the reason why I so enjoyed my visits with Archie Crozier. Between his yarns about the family scandals and the information I found in the church records, I was able to fit the last piece of the puzzle together.

According to Archie, the reason my grandfather, his brother and his father immigrated to Canada in the late 1920's was to flee from the IRA. They were all part of the "B-Special's," which were a reserve police force, predominantly protestant, who defended Northern Ireland from the IRA terror campaign. Apparently, my great-grandfather was a Magistrate who had prosecuted some members of the IRA. His life was now is danger. So, Canada was the safe haven!! Scandalous!

I loved this link to my lineage. Archie was quite the character. Maybe you can catch a glimpse of his "badness" from my pictures!! He lived his 96 years well! I will miss him. I am grateful I had the opportunity to visit him last summer. I will cherish those moments.




Archie and I in his kitchen - July 2008! This is the same farm across the road from my grandfather's home farm! It hasn't really changed either! You can even see the Canadian tray I brought him sitting on his table!



Here's to dancing skeletons!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

lovely post...and i like the idea of skeletons dancing!

swilek said...

@ Paul...thanks! I like the idea too...they are not so scarey when they are dancing:):) I feel so connected to Ireland. Every time I visit there it feels like home, skeletons and all!!:)I plan to live there one day...I can apparently claim "ancestry status!"

Unknown said...

I am the great-great-great grandaughter of Richard Crozier from Drumash who was baptised in Kilskerry Parish in 1797. I am trying to discover his ancestors in Ireland.

Recently I came across Archibald Crozier in Drumash (and through this your blog) and suspect there might be a connection. The parents of my ggg-grandfather Richard are said to have been John and Elizabeth Crozier, but this has not yet been proved. Richard emigrated to the U.S. in 1818, was naturalised in Adams County, Ohio and settled, died and is buried in Ripley, Brown County, Ohio. I have yet to discover who his siblings may have been.

If you have any information on the genealogy of Croziers in Drumash, Fermanagh, Ireland (especially if we may be distant cousins) I would be very interested in corresponding with you.

swilek said...

@ Flora! I would love to give you some info which I think would totally help you but I can't access your blog. Please send me your email so I can give you the contact info. This is very exciting!

Unknown said...

floraferox[at]gmail.com

Unknown said...

I'm excited too! I was unsure whether any of Richard Crozier's kin had stayed in Ireland. From time to time I would search the web to see if I could find any Crozier's in Drumash, Kilskeery, or Enniskillen. If my Richard is connected to Drumash then his parents might have been James and Mary Crozier. However, my cousin has his parents as John and Elizabeth. Our Richard was a Reverend in the Presbyterian Church. My email is: floraferox[at]gmail.com

Unknown said...

Happy Holidays to Crozier kin -BC