Saturday 14 February 2009

Be Mine

Eagerly anticipating valentine celebrations and a ultra long weekend, the student body was a wee bit overstimulated on Thursday! I had two memorable encounters that afternoon with a couple of my students who have autism.
The first involved this boy:
I must refresh your memory. This is the boy who used to address me as, "F*#^~ing Kaaawwin. You idiot," all the time! He is a changed man this year! So, I was invited to join his class valentine party. As I was standing by the table of valentine goodies, I overheard "P" say, " Oh my ovaries!" Trying not to react with laughter, I decided to go sit beside "P." He was eagerly awaiting to be excused so he could go on the computer. Here is our delightful dialogue:
Me: I love your ring "P"
"P": Thank you Kaawwin.
**He then reaches toward a cupcake on the table, grabs the ring off the top and proceeds to put it on my finger, icing and all!**
"P": It says, 'I love you.'
Me: Why thank you "P." I love it.
I put my arm around "P's" shoulder, leaned in and whispered in his ear,
Me: I want to tell you a secret, you are one of my favourite students.
Without missing a beat, "P" puts his arm around my shoulder, leans in and whispers in my ear,
"P": I want to tell YOU a secret, can I go on the computer now.
Me: Nice try "P," but no!
I love this boy. Will you be mine?!

Here is the infamous ring, minus the icing:

My next encounter that afternoon involved this boy:
He is the one with an incredible vocabulary. In fact, one day I walked into his classroom and he said to me, "Miss W you look dazzling today!" I love this boy too. Will you be mine?!

Every afternoon I am on duty for recess. On this said afternoon, it was complete madness on the playground. We had been experiencing a couple consecutive days of rain, so the students had been indoors for their recesses. Not a good thing!

Suddenly, there appeared two panicked students by my side telling me "Q" was stuck in the mud. I rolled my eyes and told them I would investigate. I was skeptical that "Q" was actually stuck in the mud. However, I was completely wrong. "Q" was COMPLETELY stuck in the mud. It took the help of two students along with myself to pry "Q" out of the mud. The whole time, my sweet "Q" was taking it all in stride including sporting a gargantuan smile! He was wearing a winter toque that said, "Life is Good." How appropriate. Apparently after recess when "Q" got back into class he told his teacher emphatically, "Miss W rescued me today!"

Life is Good!

The day continued to be delightful. I was showered with valentines and chocolate goodies from my students and co-workers. Those unexpected moments that afternoon made it one of the best valentines day ever.

Happy Valentine's Day my bloggy friends! Will you be mine?!




4 comments:

Huse Yo Mama said...

That is awesome! What great children! :-) Happy Valentine's Day!

A New Yorker said...

Awesome stories. I'm wondering is Sadie isn't a bit autistic...sweet and kind but a hellmuffin spazoid who just dunked herself in my coffee and freaked and spilled it all over my desk etc... :(

OldLady Of The Hills said...

A BELATED HAPPY VALENTINES DAY to You Too! It has to be so gratifying to know these kids love you!
Teachers can have so much influenbce on a young person---influence that lasts a lifetime! It sounds like you have that great gift of inspiring.

swilek said...

@ Huse Yo Mama they are and i feel blessed-most days!!:)

@ Lauren Sadie probably is!! Hey I can help as I have loads of training to deal with autism!!!:) I forgot to check about your response to the coffee...will pop on over to your blog now...can you email me your snail mail address and I can send you a sample of Timmy's to try!!!

@ OOLOTH It is gratifying, esp. seeing the changes in them over the years! It can also be frustrating but those are few and far between. Kids with special needs can sure teach us loads about life can't they! Thank you Naomi! Before being an EA (Educational Assistant or Teacher's Assistant) I was a youthworker for over 10 years. Some of my former students are now married with kids of their own. I have received some lovely letters of how we helped shape their lives...that means alot to me! And now they are "paying it forward!"