Monday 23 February 2009

? or Bust

Antique Market, Grimsby, ON February, 2009
"Busted" Well Pump.

The theme of the week, "Busted," over at Thematic Photographic is a fitting description of my internet date on Sunday afternoon. I wish I had a more exciting ending to the story for you my faithful bloggy friends. One never knows how these things will turn out.

First impressions were good. We started off on a "good foot." (No pun intended. What am I thinking, of course I intended it!) Mr. Foot Doctor did have good manners. He actually paid for my coffee, which broke a blind date record. You see on most of the maiden blind dates I have been on, I end up paying for my own coffee. Maybe I'm old fashioned but in my opinion the guy should be paying for the coffee! But, I digress.

I was craving a Grande Gingersnap Soy Latte, but had second thoughts when my date just ordered a Tall Dark Roast, double cream. I didn't want to seem overindulgent since he was paying. He did however make a grande point about Dark Roast having less caffeine. Strike 1. He would be shocked at the exorbitant amount of caffeine I guzzle every morning.

Our conversation was auspicious until ... we got talking about death and burial options. Yup on a first date. I am comfortable with this topic. In fact, I shared with Mr. Foot Doctor about my dad wanting to be cremated and sprinkled over the ocean off the coast of Newfoundland. I was a little put off when, with a shocked look on his face, he told me cremation was "pagan." Clearly in an abhorred state, he proceeded to correct my apparent errant theology. Strike 2. He wouldn't have taken too kindly with knowing I want the same burial as my father. I think he would have gone over the top if I told him about wanting all the attendees at my funeral to chew a piece of Dubble Bubble gum and in unision blow a bubble in my honour!!! I'm serious. It's in my will:)
Strike 3. He cried. "Choked up" is a more fitting term. Be clear, I have no problem with guys crying. I love it, but it was just a little awkward on a first COFFEE date. To be fair, his mom just died a few months ago. Really I am not heartless. I just thought it was awkward.
Strike 4. Mr Foot Doctor, with a professional Practice, interacting with patients all day, did not once ask me a question in the two hours we were together. I 'm not sure if that is a normal "guy" thing or not. The conversation flowed because I am good at that sort of thing. AND I didn't talk too much! For those of you that know me in real life, you may be surprised. But it is true!
Strike ? Not that I'm keeping score or anything, but maybe if we had gone bowling we would have not struck out!
Some of my reasoning may sound picky to some of you, nevertheless, I am an intuitive person. I trust my gut. For me, the underlying tone from our conversation leads me to believe there are some issues that would matter in the long run. He is a nice looking guy. He has a good job. He is health conscious - participates in iron man competitions. Still there was no chemistry - and I don't just mean physical -no conversational chemistry either. I have to be true to myself and go with my gut.
As I was leaving Starbucks, I really didn't think this guy was into me either, but apparently I was wrong. When I arrived home, there was an email waiting for me. I think I will post it because it gives a little taste of how our conversation went throughout the date. I must explain that his final comments came from out of the blue ( and I don't necessarily agree and I don't think I am "conservative!"). Here is the email:
Hi Karyne,
I'm glad we were able to meet this afternoon. You're much more prettier than your pics on your profile. If I was you I would upload recent pics of yourself.... not for me, but if I'm not your type of man then some other man might find you... again in life you never know what will be. I hope you enjoyed the concert this evening. I guess that we are on the same page... I'm a conservative Christian and had the feeling that you were too. If you'd like to go out for dinner or see a movie next weekend, email me at your convenience. Or if you'd like me to join you for church next Sunday I'd like to do that too... only if it's okay with you. If I'm not your type of guy not a problem with me... I know we'll both keep searching. These days we try to be politically correct along with other solicietal norms, which I understand and don't agree with all of it. I know that gay marriage is a sin (you can't sugarcoat it) and don't like the liberal way that Canada has gone during the past 2 decades. I also don't like how some of the Christian churches have "an anything goes" approach to get more people attending church, eg the United Church. A lot of conservative Christians left that church and I don't think that it was a good policy shift for the United Church, because it wasn't based on the Biblical teaching. Take care and God bless,
Unfortunately, I have to render this date "busted." Will I try internet dating again? Mmmm. Not sure.
BTW...He never did ask to examine my feet. Phew!

Chapters/Starbucks, Oshawa, ON, February 24, 2009

"Busted" in the Relationship section of Chapters!

I found this lady tonight as I was trying to look for a book my bloggy friend recommended. I thought it was ironic. This lady was so focused on the relationship book she was reading that she didn't even notice I was fumbling to take her photo ,all the while trying to be inconspicuous. Thus the reason for the blurred photo.



6 comments:

swilek said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
swilek said...

It's me Karyne and I'm going to post a comment I received via my email from "Huse your Mama". She and her husband met on the same internet dating site that I went on! There are success stories! Here it is:

Okay, I'm going to comment here, rather than on your blog because my comment just might be longer than your post. ha. Feel free to copy and paste if you want it for record on your blog. :-)

Let me start at the end. That makes sense, right? I'm glad you posted his email because my hands literally fell heavy while I was reading it. What an ODD odd email. First of all, how many times did he have to mention that he may or may not be your type? Secondly, don't tell me what pictures to put up on my profile, buddy. I'm a grown woman, thank you. Thirdly, did you have to throw in the theology dirt? It's a second-date email and I kinda want to erase it and pretend I never got it.

Am I judgmental? Yeah, maybe. But, I'm just giving you my read on him.

Okay, back to the beginning. The part about the coffee - I was giving it to him that it might have just been an awkward conversation filler that he could have kicked himself for later.

Pagan Cremation - for a guy who recently lost his mother, spitting on your father's wishes for cremation is a bit - well, rude.
side note: double bubble trick for the funeral - BRILLIANT.

No questions - yes, totally rude. Maybe you could email him back with a critique on his dating style, since he's all about constructive criticism. I hate it when someone does that.

Go with your gut for sure.

And definitely go back and do the internet dating again.

Here's my story. I had been on CC for a while

carolyn said...

I'm no psychology major, but i would have to say that a person who doesn't ask you anything about yourself over the course of a 2 hour conversation is self-absorbed. And i think it would be worthwhile to email him back and pass on some tactful advice about the basics of polite conversation.

And this is probably mean, but honestly..."more prettier"??? How do you get to be a medical professional with grammar like that? To say nothing of what a tactless comment it was in the first place!

I think you should give the internet dating another try, too. You might get someone with a personality next time! You're a beautiful girl (IRL and in pictures!), and i don't think you should give up yet!

A New Yorker said...

Well your friends totally beat me to the punch. I was going to point out all those things, especially the more prettier comment! OMG. Is he sure he's a doctor?

I'm glad you trusted your gut. I even suspect you are being tested a little by spirit. You just keep on respecting yourself and you shall see what comes your way (and mine too :)

Don't write him back...no pointers...move on.

Aphra said...

I think the Huse your mama email got cut off in posting it as a comment?

Did you talk about gay marriage also on the date, or was that something he just threw in the email in the end?

It looks like you covered a lot of important topics on the date!

swilek said...

@ Aphra...no it didn't get cut off, I decided not to post her dating story and accidently let the intro to that in my post

No, we did not talk about gay marriage on the date..he just threw it in which is what was so strange!!:)Weird!

@ Lauren Thanks! I like your idea of not writing him back. I think he got the idea though as I haven't heard from him. I have been contemplating all week what to do and your advice kind of solidified things!! Although in my experience most of these guys don't get hints but i'll cross that bridge !

@ Carolyn..Thanks for the advice too! Crazy isn't it! I know a foot doctor???yikes! maybe I should have quizzed him and showed him my feet after all!!!