Monday 19 January 2009

Thematic Photographic - "AGED"

A searching I did go in my "tickle trunk" (also see here for the original) the other day for a scarf and stumbled upon my K-Way pants! Does anyone remember "K-Way" clothing?

They have "AGED" well...


K-Way pants and jackets were popular when I was in Junior and Senior High School. Here I am wearing my K-Ways in 1979 or 1980. I forget the exact year but know from our car, a Chevy Citation, it would have been around those dates. My family would go cross country skiing every Sunday, so this particular day we spent up in Muskoka where we had our summer trailer.
My K-Ways were a winter staple! They even travelled all across Europe with me back when I lived in Sweden 1986-87. I couldn't have frolicked in the snow without them! I am surprised at the fond memories flooding my mind as I write this post involving my beloved K-Way pants:
...having to sand furniture all day for Friday work duty in a cold barn at school, running away from crazy Italian men in Milan, braving a snowstorm in Vienna on New Year's Day in order to find a nice restaurant that would be open, only to end up in a small cafe right out of the pages of Charles Dicken's "Great Expectations" ( we saw a Miss Havisham that night!), running around Salzburg emulating the Von Trapp children, singing "I am Sixteen" in the infamous gazebo, climbing the Austrian Alps, exploring the old fortress, cross country skiing through the most beautiful forest in Bavaria, cross country skiing through lit forest trails behind the school, Advent and Christmas celebrations in the town square drinking glogg, Sunday afternoon football games in the snow...


Strong, enduring. Ah sweet "AGED" memories!


Why not resurrect them once again! Tonight I went for a **walk/run in the snow proudly wearing my K-ways! Amazingly I can still fit into them after 29 years! I guess I've "AGED" well too!
**I just can't seem to transition from a walk/run to a run/run in all this snow and cold weather we are having of late. Sidewalks are still snow covered which makes running a bit treacherous.



Another season has begun creating new memories with my K-Ways!
For more "AGED" photographs, pop on over to Carmi's blog and enjoy the stories behind the photos!












5 comments:

A New Yorker said...

Oh nooes. Even if you can fit in them wearing them AGES you/us. NO NO NO NO NO. I'm sending you on 10 years younger ;)

swilek said...

Thanks Lauren!!!:)

carolyn said...

Hey, i had a K-way jacket. I think it was navy blue, and i think it also folded up and could be zipped into a pouch that clipped around my waist. I'm embarrassed to say that i did wear it that way on occasion. (Fortunately, i don't think we have any pictures to back that up) :D

awareness said...

K-way! I havent thought about that clothing in years! I too had some gear. I wore my windbreaker under a down vest when i went skiing in the spring :)

the other tidbit which jumped right out at me were your antics in Saltzburg! Sweet Jesus, I did the same darn thing! Did you go on the van tour of the Sound Of Music sites? The group I was with sang all the songs and jumped from bench to bench in that gazebo! It was hilarious.

swilek said...

@Carolyn...I did the same thing with my K-way jacket I think! In fact, in doing "research" for this post, I think I read that is what was special about Kway! I rememeber having mine clipped around my waist at Wonderland in the fall!!:) Fun times! Too bad no pics of you in your K-Ways!!

@ Awareness...The K-way jacket was perfect to wear under the down vests. I think actually I was wearing one under my vest in this old pic!
YESSS I did go on the van tour of the Sound of Music sites! I believe we hooked up with the tour near our hostel in Salzburg! It was fabulous as the Sound of Music is one of my all time favourite classic movies!! Did you run around that large garden where the children sang and danced to do re mi, I believe!! I found Salzburg to be such a magical place at Christmas! Fun times wasn't it!!:)