Monday 26 January 2009

An Unexpected Surprise

Have you ever had one of those moments in your life when you know you are exactly where you are meant to be? When you are ever mindful of the here and now, living through each step, eagerly anticipating the outcome? Wonderment! Choosing to "seize the day!" Carpe Diem! A marvellous surprise awaits for the beneficiary.

Tonight I was the beneficiary of one of those beautiful surprises. God allowed my path to intersect with this beautiful woman called "Soleil." How fitting a name as she WAS a ray of sunshine on this cold, dark, winter's night. Soleil illuminated my car as I drove her to her doctor's appointment. ( I am a volunteer driver for "Community Care." ) Do you see the radiance of her expression? The wisdom written across her face? Do you see every well-deserved, handsome wrinkle expressing the story of her life?

Soleil is Lebanese and speaks very little English. However she does speak Arabic and French. I had mentioned to her daughter, the contact person, that I could speak a little French and only one word of Arabic! There must have been some miscommunication down the line because Soleil thought I was fluent! Picture this with me for a moment. We are driving west towards Toronto on the "401," which is a 16-lane highway, during rush hour. I am trying to concentrate on my driving while at the same time concentrate on what Soleil is saying to me in French- or is it Arabic! I am barely understanding anything but just keep smiling. Soleil didn't seem to notice!

When Soleil and I arrived at the doctor's office, we ended up sitting beside a woman, Sully, who just happened to be Lebanese also. I was nestled tightly between the two S's - Soleil and Sully! Instantly they began to converse in Arabic. I was enthralled by their conversation, fully aware they were discussing the atrocities taking place in Gaza,Israel, the "Holy Land"-- so close to their homeland. I could see the pain on their tense faces. I could see the sadness in their bright eyes. I could feel their heartbreak pulsating with their every breath. I was alive in this moment. Even with the language barrier between us, I felt a part of this dialogue. It was beautiful. The outward smile, the inward tears. It caught me by surprise.

I love the Lebanese people. They remind me of Newfoundlanders- so friendly, welcoming and very hospitable. I had Lebanese neighbours in the apartment below mine when I lived in Edmonton. On many occasions, I would sit and chat with the father, who had had a stroke and who spoke zero English! He would invite me to sit with him and drink Lebanese coffee! It was VERY strong! He actually taught me the only Arabic word I know! It always amazed me that I was able to learn an Arabic word from a man who couldn't speak English. I LOVE how communication knows no bounds! We had a special connection. Those quiet, speech-less moments together taught me an abundance about the human spirit. We wept when I learned I would be moving back to Ontario. He was gift. I was the grateful beneficiary.

Sully bid us farewell. The drive home seemed to fly by. I felt like I had known Soleil all my life. When I pulled into her driveway, she invited me in for Lebanese coffee! I accepted the invitation for I knew I needed to be in this moment. In addition to the STRONG coffee, Soleil brought me a plate of fresh fruit to eat! She tried to entice me with more coffee but I told her I would not be able to sleep tonight! I had a lovely evening. I was fully alive and thus reaped the benefits of this precious encounter! God knew I needed that gift of friendship tonight! I knew I was exactly where I needed to be. Carpe Diem! You never know what unexpected surprise awaits!

(This story is in keeping with Carmi's theme of the week, "surprised." For more stories and photos, click
here.)

9 comments:

A New Yorker said...

Nice experience. Would LOVE it if you'd consider rephrasing your sentence about Gaza and I'm happy to speak with you about that in email. :)

swilek said...

@Lauren...Thank you for your comment on my blog post...when I say, "atrocities of Gaza" I am actually meaning from both sides of the situation not just from the side of the Palestinians. It is sad for both. When I re-read the post I can see how it can be misinterrpreted that I am condemning what Israel has done but that is not my intention at all. I realize it is a complicated situation over there and Israel is suffering too. These women were saddened by both sides of the situation. I will send you an email. Thank you for the link to the "soldier's letter"! I also agree we as "westerners" can't fully understand and I also realize the media doesn't tell the whole story. My point in the post isn't to be political but to show these women cared what was happening in their homeland and were saddened and felt helpless.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

It sounds like a lovely encounter and one that gave you and Soleil something quite special---And Sully, too! Wonderful!

In regard to your comment on my post: Thank you for your very kind and enthusiastic words....
Just to explain: I understand being "a fan" completely and utterly. Loving somone's acting or singing or just how they look when they are doing these thihd---I get that and I am a BIG fan of "talent".....What I don't understand is this special brand of fan I was trying to describe...(Not Dina.....) the people who see no plays but stand outzide the stage door waiting for "stars" to come out just because they are "stars". These people devote their whole day and night to this....It IS their life....! To me, it seems to have no relation to anything to do with talent or being moved by a performance or anything even close to that. I haven't got a clue to what is is all about---but what I DO know, these people--the particular ones I was talking about who wait by the Stage Door----have never seen a play and actually have no interest in seeing a play....WEIRD? You bet! LOL!
I considedr myself a "fan"....I've gone back to see certain plays or Musicals three and four times....I have gone out of my way to see certain Singers or Actors in plays and Nightclubs, etc..Because I admire their talent so much.....
So I get what you feel...I truly do. The 'packs' at the Stage Door that I am talking about are not us, believe me!

Marimoy said...

What a wonderful way of fitting in with the theme. It sounds as if you had a wonderful encounter. What serendipity.

swilek said...

@ OLOTH...i left another response on your blog:):)
@ mimi..yes serendipity!!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

About my profile picture: It is from a long long time ago...WHEN I still smoked. I thought it was kind of a funny picture and that's why I used it...I too, like the way I look in it--The Pool Shark...LOL! That was taken a little over a year before I stopped smoking....And I stopped in November of 1970, My first smoke free day was November 13th, 1970....! So, I am definitly NOT a fan of smoking....!

swilek said...

@ooloth Cool history of the pic...glad you were able to stop smoking:) But it is a very cool picture:)

sealaura said...

great post. i love the picture. you have such a great spirit.

swilek said...

@ sealaura...thank you..I am grateful for parents who model this spirit!