Wednesday 7 January 2009

The Gift

It isn't sold in stores
It is homespun
Homespun from the very breath and being of parental protectors
A gift from The Father
It is,
"a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another
who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering."
It is ceaseless compassion
This gift
A priceless inheritance
From a father to his daughter
Jesus' reflection to the world
No greater gift.
Pass it on
This legacy
My birthright
Immortal
This gift.


Two recipients of this gift
Surprisingly, This man and another like-minded soul
Living on the outside.
The circumstance
An evening of hockey.
The inaugural adventure commenced at no other than
Our beloved Tim Hortons.
While slowly sipping our coffee
My father noticed the forlorn man standing by the door
Innately my father walked up to this man, smiled, offered a greeting, then discreetly
Gave him enough money for a coffee and something to eat.
No sooner had my father sat down
When another older, itinerant
Came marching over to our table.
With his toothless grin in full view,
His inquiry for a coffee was child-like,
"Can I have a coffee too?"
Ensuring impartiality wasn't he?
My dad chuckled, looked over at me and said,
"they don't miss a beat do they?"
Reaching in his pocket,
My dad handed this man his share of
The Gift

Our evening of hockey continued,
Full of memorable moments.
I will cherish the time spent with my daddy.
Immortal.
A gift.

(My father standing in "The General Motors Centre," Oshawa,Ontario, Canada, waiting for the OHL game between the Oshawa Generals and the Kingston Frontenacs.)

( I won Box Seats at my Hospice Christmas party, so here is my dad standing in our box. We only shared the box with one another father and his son! That is another story for another time!)

8 comments:

Catherine said...

What a wonderful time to spend with your dad. Time at the hockey game and, learning from him as you saw his heart in action.

A New Yorker said...

That was rather ballsy of the 2nd fella eh? Nice that your dad is so kind. Glad to read your story, as always.

swilek said...

@Catherine It was and it was good hockey too. They had a tribute to Don Sanderson ( he died after he was in a fight with another hockey player and his helmet fell off and his head hit the ice) ALso, Doug Gilmour was coaching for Kingston!!

@ Lauren Ballsy is the word I was looking for..thanks...it's a bit too late to put in my post but that is what I was trying to say!! Thanks, I enjoy reading your blog too...watched the videos-interesting to say the least. My dad is a cutie!

awareness said...

the gift from the heart with no strings.....gotta love it!

Dougie Gilmour?? Still my fav Toronto Maple Leaf. :)

It sounds like an emotionally driven kind of evening from your encounters at Tim's to the tribute for Sanderson...to the fun of watching a game sitting in a BOX!

Runner Girl said...

You sharing this gift with us made me cry. How blessed you are to have a human father with the gift of mercy who puts it into practice in ways that would make our heavenly father smile.

You are such a blessing, Karyne!

btw~what is Tim Horton's

mrsnesbitt said...

I miss my Dad so much, but the happy memories I have are a constant source of comfort allowing the many happy memories to live on.

swilek said...

@ Awareness...it was an up and down kind of evening but well worth it! I was sad when Doug Gilmour left hockey!!
Oh , I saw that homeless man on the weekend again as I was driving by that same Tim HOrton's so maybe one day I'll talk to him!

@ Kimberley...Thanks sweetie! I thought I linked Tim Horton's...it is a coffee shop when we think they put some kind of addictive material in their coffee to keep us coming back!!! hehehe! It is good coffee! Like a Dunkin Donuts but better coffee!

Katinka said...

Stopping by from SITS and wishing you a MERRY CHRISTMAS :)!!!!