Monday 27 October 2008

The Secret Lives of Seniors

He was leaving to have a smoke as I was entering the building. I've seen him around many times before. Sometimes he stays the night. I see his truck in visitor parking as I leave for work in the mornings. His girlfriend lives on the fourth floor.

Did I mention I moved back in with my folks- who happen to live in a Seniors building. "Senior:" person over the age of 65.

As I passed this man tonight in the foyer of the building and we exchanged a quick glance (I was coming home from a lovely evening at the movies with my childhood friend Michelle. We saw "The Secret Life of Bees"...AMAZING), I couldn't help but think that these Seniors are getting more action than I do at the present time! Good on them! The Secret Lives of Seniors!

Which reminds me of a conversation I had with one of my grade 3 students today:

"H": Miss Whalen, are you married?

Me: No, not yet.

"H": Well, you are tall enough to get married.

Out of the mouth of babes! These are the days I love my job!

5 comments:

Nestor Family said...

What a sweet story at the end there!

A New Yorker said...

Cute story.
And scary that I think our lives are so similar. I just saw Secret Life of Bees too. Wonder why the seniors are getting more than I am.

Anonymous said...

Ha kids are great. I am sure that you will find yours someday.

Anonymous said...

Karyne...did you lose your kids again? =)

swilek said...

@Ken...I'm not sure what you mean?!:)

@Heidi..thanks..kids do say the darndest things eh!

@lauren...yes it is scary to think our lives are so similar...very interesting:) we will have to meet up one day in person!

@ cupidsreviews...how do i comment on your blog..i haven't figured that out yet! thanks for the vote of confidence!