Monday 28 January 2008

Encounters

Disclaimer: I have a picture of the following event but unfortunately cannot access it from the cell phone. Maybe one day I will be able to post the picture!

gum (gum) 1 a sticky juice, obtained from or given off by certain trees and plants, that hardens in the air and dissolves in water. 2 chewing gum 3 a gum tree; eucalyptus 4 often, gums, pl. the flesh around the teeth. n.

I was having dinner with a friend at one of our favourite local restaurants, Jack Astors, when our lives intersected with an unforgettable eccentric woman.

eccentric (ek sen' trik) 1 out of the ordinary; odd; peculiar. 2 a person who behaves in an unusual manner.

We prefer eating our meal at the bar as it is a great people- watching spot ( and faster service). Prior to our encounter with this woman, we were discreetly watching a young guy make his moves on a young woman having a drink with her girlfriends. She was clearly giving him mixed signals. Being me, I foolishly told our bartender what we were doing and added, "those girls over there are hot for you." An hour or so later, we notice our bartender nestled in between this young man and the young woman. He was obviously finished his shift and acted on my comment. The poor young man struck out that night.


In the meantime, we meet Liz, who sat down beside me. While waiting for her take out order, she began chatting with me. Clearly, she had been drinking thus our conversation was more animated and interesting!! Liz was one of those persons who had no problem entering personal space! Out of the blue, she leaned in and said,

" I love your hair!"

I replied with a thank you then carried on my conversation with my friend. Shortly after, she LEANED in again and EXCITEDLY said with a HUGE grin,

" Oh my goodness, you are like me, I can see your gums when you smile too!!"

Finally, Liz received her take out order and was ready to leave. Suddenly, she fell off her chair and tumbled to the floor. (The take out order was safe!!! ) My friend and I tried to conceal our laughter. I know it's not funny to laugh at such an event but in light of our whole encounter with Liz it seemed appropriate. As she picked herself up, we saw her "gum exposed smile" and the wave of her hand bidding us goodnight.

My friend and I are anticipating another encounter with our new friend the next time we eat at Jack Astor's.

No comments: