Thursday 17 January 2008

Out of the mouth of babes --- NOT!!

Today, after spending twenty patient( like Job!), creative minutes helping one of my grade 2 students ( age 8) with his language worksheet, he had the gall to look at me and say in a exasperated tone,

" Do you know that you are wasting my time."

My mouth dropped about 50 feet! I could not believe this eight year old student, with some learning difficulties, had the nerve to speak to me in this manner. What is happening to our children in society today? It is unbelieveable and scares me to think what they will be like as adults.

5 comments:

Aphra said...

It is true- I am very worried about the children. I like to think as they grow up, they learn more empathy!

At Rustle, I feel that one of the most important thing that happens is with the children (probably at other Churches too, but that's just where I go)- I think they are close to God's heart.

Part of the problem is the lack of respect because the political correctness has tied the teachers hands in discipline!

swilek said...

I totally agree with you Aphra about the political correctness that ties teachers...it is sooo frustrating! I am sure you witness this in your job. Wait till you get our students in a few years!!:) I ;must say not all my students are "bad"...I understand where a lot of their behaviour comes from....about Rustle kids...I have observed that they are close to God's heart each time I have visited Rustle....they are refreshing!

Aphra said...

Well, my students tend to be very well behaved but there are a number of factors in that
1- they are paying for the education
2- they tend to be from private schools (not that I'm saying rich people raise their kids better- but maybe there is a higher standard that they are expected to attain?)

My boss has to be very politically correct because she is associate dean, but I'm pretty much a loose cannon because I'm only loosley contracted:)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, is all I can say....

swilek said...

i know janina...welcome to the people who will eventually be caring for us old folks!!:):)