Thursday 24 January 2008

As much as I tell "crazy" stories about my students and as much as I may complain about them, there are many great teaching moments that make it all worthwhile! Today at school was one such moment!

The intermediate students (200+) had an assembly this afternoon with a motivational speaker, who was introduced as a poetry reader. Immediately, I thought, " oh great... we the staff are going to be dealing with so many behavioural issues during this assembly…these kids are not going to listen to someone recite poetry…” I quickly tried to hatch a plan of escape but not before our guest began speaking. As mama always says, “never judge a book by its cover.” I should have listened to mama!! This poetry reader captivated the audience. At the end of his presentation, he asked the students to imagine that the auditorium was filled with 2 million people. He then told them to write down what they would say to those 2 million people if given the opportunity. So, for the next few minutes, I watched the crowd participate in this exercise. My dear “S” , who I have blogged about before, came and sat by me. Knowing she probably wouldn’t understand this exercise, I made an attempt to help her pen her thoughts.

Finally, our guest asked if any of the students wanted to share publically what they had written. I was almost in tears listening to some of their thoughts and poems. Why? Because they were raw and honest and good. But most of all I was sad that the common underlying theme of their stories was their fear of living in a world with gun violence and terrorism. This is a pre- teenage world that is foreign to me. When I was in jr. high school our biggest fear was not passing a test. How do we protect these children. How sad to think this is the world we are passing on to our precious children. This is too big of a weight for them to shoulder. How did our country of Canada , our province of Ontario get to this point. It makes me sad. Yet…

In the midst of this sadness, a bright light shines to bring hope, simplicity and humility to our little corner of the world. My dear “S” wanted me to read what she wrote. This is what she would say to those 2 million people,

“Hi! How are you? I am “S.” I was going shopping with my friends. I love my family. Always smile. I love to do many activities. The end.”

Her voice. She is using it well! No fear just unconditional love to everyone ( especially to a couple boys – Yes, even this autistic teen has her jr. high school crushes!)

Once again, God gently reminded me to continue to shine His light in this dark world. As cliché as this sounds, it is truth: He is peace and is the answer for the world today! Have no fear!

No comments: