Wednesday 13 December 2006

An Attempt at Songwriting!!

One item on my "Things I Want to do Before I Die " list is to try songwriting!! I do think songwriting is a gift you are born with, but feel you can learn to write songs! So, I thought I would give it a try. Here is my first attempt at a song! I don't have the music to it yet, although I do have some ideas floating around my head!!! This song was inspired by one of my students who has autism. I worked with her for 3 years and grew to love her like my own daughter. As a single woman, I feel so blessed that God puts children in my life, so I can love them, learn from them and enjoy them, just like they were my own!! This young, autistic student of mine, who is now becoming a woman, delights everyone that crosses her path. She is a gift from God! I dedicate this song to her!!! If you want to learn more about Autism, check out, www.autism.net or www.autismtoday.com.


"A black-haired little girl with a joyful grin,
Lights up the room as she walks in.
Proudly standing, O Canada she sings,
Thinking about her favourite things.
Nail polish, lip gloss, clickity shoes,
Boy whales, girl whales,
Miss Whalen whales too.
Excited about the day ahead,
She soons checks to see what she has read.
'Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you See?'
Her favourite storybook she rhymes off with glee!
Quickly her thoughts turn to that magic hour (9:30)
When new toilets, especially white toilets, have all the power.
Flush, flush, flushing we go,
'Don't waste the water...no, no, no.'
Finally, ready to work with all her might,
Enthusiastically she perseveres until she gets it right.
A black -haired little girl with a joyful grin,
Lights up the room as she walks in."

No comments: