Tuesday 9 January 2007

Live through the Questions!




Look closely at instruction #5 on the door to my room of the Cape Cod inn I stayed in last summer. There was no phone in the room nor would my cell phone work. So, I found it quite amusing that I had to go in search of the phone booth to make a call. Many questions filled my mind as I began the search for the phone booth. It may seem obvious to most of you, but if you were in this seaside town with me, you would have had the same questions!! To make a long story short, I decided to walk to the pier as I guessed it was a little closer than town. So, after a 10 minute walk, I found the pier...it was BREATHTAKING! I stopped to take in the view for a few moments, then FINALLY spotted the phone booth, tucked behind the harbour master's office and beside the woman's bathroom! Clearly visible to all ( said with a touch of sarcasm)!! New questions arose, one of which was...why this location...but I "lived through the questions" to reach my destination and accomplish what I set out to do.
I tell you this story as a sequay for the quote I want to leave with you.
I have been reading this book called, " Spiritual Direction", by one of my favourite authors, Henri Nouwen. Henri spent his final years as priest/pastor of L'Arche Daybreak in Toronto, a community where men and women with mental disabitlites and their assistants create a home for one another. In the first chapter, Henri says, "Seeking spiritual direction, for me, means to ask the big questions, the fundamental questions, the universal ones in the context of a supportive community..." He goes on to ask us to " live the questions until God, sometimes like lightning, reveals enough guidance to enable you to live confidently in the present moment...to receive spiritual direction is to recognize that God does not solve our problems or answer all our questions, but leads us closer to the mystery of our existence where all questions cease." (p. 11/13) We have to live through the questions, as difficult as it can be at times, in order to grow closer to Jesus and know Him more. This journey with Jesus can lead to more questions, but that is all part of the process of our faith. Don't be afraid of them - live through them- you will get to the other side ! ( even if you don't get the answers) Embrace, accept, move forward in celebration!

No comments: